Gambles Hiawatha Skiptooth i.d.?

This ad disappears when logged in
C

CapitalT

I picked up this Gambles Hiawatha and I'm looking for any information regarding the year, model and originality.

I believe it was originally red, but it has silver\grey paint over it. I really like the rust colored racing stripes. Hats off to whatever 9 year old came up with brush painted scheme.

hiawatha_full-1.jpg
IMG_0080-1.jpg
IMG_0081-1.jpg
IMG_0082-1.jpg
IMG_0083-1.jpg

IMG_0085-1.jpg

IMG_0087-1.jpg

Serial Number G28202 and the Cleveland Welding mark
Hiawatha head badge is intact
The chainguard is missing, would this have had a feather type guard or other?
The truss rods are missing
The front and rear rims do not match, I assume the rear is probably the original?
New Departure coaster brake hub
The rear fender has been modified (via tin snips) to be a "shorty"

Based on this information, I'm debating between leaving it rough or stripping it and restoring it.

Adamtinkerer

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 8, 2008
Western North carolina
I borrowed this pic from Nostalgic Dave's site. It's a 49 Western Flyer Super, but is essentially the same as your Hiawatha. The WF guard says 'super', while yours would say Hiawatha on it, and there was a Hawthorne version also.
1949westernflyersuper-1.jpg

G

grey3speedfrmeuro

I sold mine in a tag sale almost two years ago. If I can find my photos of the Hiawatha (Cleveland Welding) I didnt keep the serial number handy but the paint was original and near perfect. I was told my bike dated to the late 1950's never consulted an expert though to make sure what year my bike was from. If you are interested I will look for my photo, The tank, fenders, sprocket, frame, handlebars and rims were original. Someone put on red grips and put a dished rim on the front wheel and an aftermarket luggage wrack on it. Send me a note if you want me to look.

REC

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 6, 2006
Lake Worth, United States
This was a '55 Apache I had a few years ago. It started my craving for the old ballooners.

REC

L

lehua768

I believe this is what the chain guard looks like. This is available but it too would need restoration. v/r Shawn I sold mine in a tag sale almost two years ago. If I can find my photos of the Hiawatha (Cleveland Welding) I didnt keep the serial number handy but the paint was original and near perfect. I was told my bike dated to the late 1950's never consulted an expert though to make sure what year my bike was from. If you are interested I will look for my photo, The tank, fenders, sprocket, frame, handlebars and rims were original. Someone put on red grips and put a dished rim on the front wheel and an aftermarket luggage wrack on it. Send me a note if you want me to look.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
$50.00
eBay Auction Picture
$19.99
eBay Auction Picture
$8.00
eBay Auction Picture
$28.00
eBay Auction Picture
$35.00
eBay Auction Picture