When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gambles Hiawatha Skiptooth ID?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
C

CapitalT

I picked up this Gambles Hiawatha and I'm looking for any information regarding the year, model and originality.

I believe it was originally red, but it has silver\grey paint over it. I really like the rust colored racing stripes. Hats off to whatever 9 year old came up with brush painted scheme.

hiawatha_full-1.jpg
IMG_0080-1.jpg
IMG_0081-1.jpg
IMG_0082-1.jpg
IMG_0083-1.jpg

IMG_0085-1.jpg

IMG_0087-1.jpg

Serial Number G28202 and the Cleveland Welding mark
Hiawatha head badge is intact
The chainguard is missing, would this have had a feather type guard or other?
The truss rods are missing
The front and rear rims do not match, I assume the rear is probably the original?
New Departure coaster brake hub
The rear fender has been modified (via tin snips) to be a "shorty"

Based on this information, I'm debating between leaving it rough or stripping it and restoring it.

I borrowed this pic from Nostalgic Dave's site. It's a 49 Western Flyer Super, but is essentially the same as your Hiawatha. The WF guard says 'super', while yours would say Hiawatha on it, and there was a Hawthorne version also.
1949westernflyersuper-1.jpg

I believe this is what the chain guard looks like. This is available but it too would need restoration. v/r Shawn

Attachments

• Hiawatha Guard1.jpg
    Hiawatha Guard1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Hiawatha Guard 3.jpg
    Hiawatha Guard 3.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Hiawatha Guard2.jpg
    Hiawatha Guard2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 64
I sold mine in a tag sale almost two years ago. If I can find my photos of the Hiawatha (Cleveland Welding) I didnt keep the serial number handy but the paint was original and near perfect. I was told my bike dated to the late 1950's never consulted an expert though to make sure what year my bike was from. If you are interested I will look for my photo, The tank, fenders, sprocket, frame, handlebars and rims were original. Someone put on red grips and put a dished rim on the front wheel and an aftermarket luggage wrack on it. Send me a note if you want me to look.

This was a '55 Apache I had a few years ago. It started my craving for the old ballooners.

REC

I believe this is what the chain guard looks like. This is available but it too would need restoration. v/r Shawn I sold mine in a tag sale almost two years ago. If I can find my photos of the Hiawatha (Cleveland Welding) I didnt keep the serial number handy but the paint was original and near perfect. I was told my bike dated to the late 1950's never consulted an expert though to make sure what year my bike was from. If you are interested I will look for my photo, The tank, fenders, sprocket, frame, handlebars and rims were original. Someone put on red grips and put a dished rim on the front wheel and an aftermarket luggage wrack on it. Send me a note if you want me to look.

Back