When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garage Sale Find - 1976 Schwinn Stingray - How Right Is It?

-

speedmaster99

On Training Wheels
Hi Folks!

My first post here, so apologies if I'm doing anything against form.

I just picked this up on the way to work. From the serial number it appears to be a 1976 Chicago Schwinn.

I have a couple questions (I'll add more pics as I get time).

1. Fenders: I've seen Stingrays with and without front fenders. Which models had them, and which didn't? I'm pretty sure this one is missing the rear fender.
2. Red/Yellow: Everything here looks right, but this combination of red frame with yellow guard and forks is unusual?
3. Seat: Is it possible this is the original seat? In other red/yellow combos I've seen, typically there is a yellow seat.

Sorry for the newbie questions, I'm just really excited!
IMG_3884.JPG
IMG_3885.JPG
IMG_3886.JPG

Frame Serial is FM521571
Badge Code is 2176

Which I think makes it a firm built in 76 and assembled on Aug 4th of 76.
IMG_3890.JPG

Last edited:
So, it looks as though it might be a frankenstein bike?

Would the recommendation be to part it out, or sell as-is?

I would kill to find any stingray at a garage sale! Would you be willing to say how much you paid? I have a '76 stingray that is all original except for grips and tires. It's otherwise in great condition and I paid $150. But that's in The Denver area where they go for a little higher. You've definately got a mismatch of parts from the original 76 with newer fork and chainguard. grips are wrong and all '76 models had chrome fenders. And yes it's a Jr frame that does fetch a little less. you'd probably make more parting it out but that's a hassle! id probably keep it for parts and use the seat to practice recovering. Great find at a yard sale nonetheless

I actually only paid $40. I figured I couldn't go wrong on it! I'll probably hold on to it, unless someone were to wave a $100 in my face. :)

Back