When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garage Sale Find - 1976 Schwinn Stingray - How Right Is It?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

speedmaster99

On Training Wheels
Hi Folks!

My first post here, so apologies if I'm doing anything against form.

I just picked this up on the way to work. From the serial number it appears to be a 1976 Chicago Schwinn.

I have a couple questions (I'll add more pics as I get time).

1. Fenders: I've seen Stingrays with and without front fenders. Which models had them, and which didn't? I'm pretty sure this one is missing the rear fender.
2. Red/Yellow: Everything here looks right, but this combination of red frame with yellow guard and forks is unusual?
3. Seat: Is it possible this is the original seat? In other red/yellow combos I've seen, typically there is a yellow seat.

Sorry for the newbie questions, I'm just really excited!
IMG_3884.JPG
IMG_3885.JPG
IMG_3886.JPG

Frame Serial is FM521571
Badge Code is 2176

Which I think makes it a firm built in 76 and assembled on Aug 4th of 76.
IMG_3890.JPG

Last edited:
So, it looks as though it might be a frankenstein bike?

Would the recommendation be to part it out, or sell as-is?

I would kill to find any stingray at a garage sale! Would you be willing to say how much you paid? I have a '76 stingray that is all original except for grips and tires. It's otherwise in great condition and I paid $150. But that's in The Denver area where they go for a little higher. You've definately got a mismatch of parts from the original 76 with newer fork and chainguard. grips are wrong and all '76 models had chrome fenders. And yes it's a Jr frame that does fetch a little less. you'd probably make more parting it out but that's a hassle! id probably keep it for parts and use the seat to practice recovering. Great find at a yard sale nonetheless

I actually only paid $40. I figured I couldn't go wrong on it! I'll probably hold on to it, unless someone were to wave a $100 in my face. :)

Back