When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gare's Schwinn

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

harpon

Finally riding a big boys bike
My sister had gotten a Schwinn back at the end of the 50's, a Middleweight Blue Tornado, but I had two bikes growing up- my first 20" red JC Higgins- that Dad and I searched through town to add the new High-rise bars, banana seat and knobby tread tire, to turn it into one of the new exotic Sting Rays in 1964, as well as an old 26" ballloon tired junker that Dad repainted and overhauled for me before I could even reach the pedals properly- which I always called the Old Greeen Clunker.

My circle of neighborhood friends through the '60's were all into bikes and the best bike was Dwight's- a blue Schwinn with chrome fenders, saddlebag baskets and a Bendix Speedometer. While we knew of "3 speed English racers" we called them, we didn't see a "10 speed" until beyond the decade's mid-point when Rich Ernsting- an older boy, got a gold Schwinn Varsity.

The local Schwinn bike shop- Matthew's Bicycle Mart at 38th and Sherman Drive- was somehow an appropriate long-distance voyage of several miles in each direction when we old enough- most of them were two years older than I- and we'd have a small pack of kids make the big trip. And so I became keenly aware of the Schwinn catalog and line about 1966 and after. The metallic colors sold by them were quite an enticement in our well drag-stripped and race-carred world. The transluscent metallic plastic handlebar tape in the same color as the bikes was mesmerizing- blue, gold, light and dark green, red- a roll of replacement tape was less than a dollar then, and stocked for years there.

It took a couple of years, but boosted by my Christmas tips from my paper route and savings, I finally got my own "British racing green" Schwinn Varsity, for $70 new cost, the early spring of memorable 1968- I was in 8th grade- my sister took a photo of me proudly standing behind it next to our house (below)- when the snows hadn't melted completely- Proudly wearing my school's sweatshirt- "The Belzer Bruins", I had just turned 14- and it changed the course of my life.

I had it for the next several years- all over the local landscape, which all somehow became mine. I started making the improvements I could- 1 1/8" Schwinn "Puff" gumwall tires gave a better roll, eventually pedal clips and straps- I had a cyclometer tapping out the mileage on the front wheel . I joined the touring clubs League of American Whelmen and Central Indiana Bicycling Association and the stickers adorned the Varsity. I rode both my first century ride on her in Indianapolis 1970 and my first race, finishing second in the State Championship Junior division to Wayne Stetina in 1971- His bike- a Chrome Cinelli was probably SOME advantage, but after thrashing US road cycling for most of the '70's, I wasn't alone finishing behind him.

The bike was stolen shortly after. A woman called from an apartment across the street to say she'd seen some boy ride off on it from right in front of our house picture window. Never saw it again- eneded up with a full-campy Gitane Super Corsa to replace her- but still have a soft spot in my heart thinking back on my first ten speed.

792.JPG

Last edited:
Harpon,

That story brought back memories from the late 60’s to early 70’s. Man was that simple times. Sorry about the stolen bike. I’m sure you wish you could have it now.

047.JPG

Here's another shot of it and me, before our schools race on our high school tack- I think my Junior year, the spring of 1971, and so the bike disappeared a few months later.
I was the founder and president of the Bicycle Club that put on the race. Teams of two raced for 50 laps. As you can see I'd added rubber brake hoods by then for longer riding.

here's the same photo and I added some of the natural colors of my outrageous get-up
056.jpg

It leads to stronger stuff...

1119.jpg
1120.jpg
1122.jpg

Eventually- the other Schwinn I had was a Paramount track bike, my parents gave me for my 21st birtday in 1975. I eventually did a little track racing, but there wasn't a velodrome in Indiana until my career was almost over, and I was mostly a road and criterium cyclist, better on climbs than sprinting. I was behind a crash up at Northbrook in Chicago then, the first summer, got pushed into the rails and trashed the original steel deep drop bars and stem- these are the alloy replacements in the photos.
Dad took these pictures of me on the silver full-campy 531 frame Paramount at the innaugural event at the Major Taylor Velodrome about 1980 I think- the lines had yet to be painted on the track surface.

I used the Paramount in the early spring quite a bit for fixed cog training though. Wish I still had that one!

Last edited:
Sick photos....

Even though they aren't that old, those pics are legit.....very cool....!

These pictures are well suited in calenders for feeling energetic.

Back