When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gendron Pioneer trike - need help and insights!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
Hi folks - This came in the shop yesterday for repair (while I was home sick) so I only have these two photos but I will post more if needed later today. I have not repaired an old trike like this before so this is something residing outside my wheelhouse. I have replaced these types of trike tires on newer trikes (AMF, etc.) - but it was a long time ago (70's/80's) and it involved long handle flat blade screwdrivers, hot water, thick gloves, and a fair amount of salty language. No one in the shop wanted to work on trikes and it was a difficult thing to even find parts that fit them.

This one was just purchased as shown with a new paint job (yay!). I have seen better and worse restores and at least it has appealing colors and scheme. I also understand this type of long nose saddle generally is missing, so I feel that is a big plus for the trike.

Not a lot of info on the Cabe on the Gendron company but enough to get a good start. I am hoping someone here might accelerate the learning curve on this model, especially due to the poor condition all three rubber tires (which is why it is in the shop). Other than obtaining more specific info this particular model, I would like to know:

Is there is there a "go to" place to get replacement tires?
Is the tire size measured by the overall width with the tire in place or the just the rim diameter?
Is it missing rear hub caps?
The pedals look very good - are they correct?

I located a newer Tricycle Fetish website which has some company info and great ads but not sure if you can get parts from them.

Any insights on front wheel removal or tire sourcing and repair tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
1543584475520.png

1543584502932.png

1543586087233.png

http://www.tricyclefetish.com

Last edited:
Beautiful tricycle! :) From the two photos provided, the tires don't look bad at all and I'd probably leave them alone. The rear hub caps shown on the illustration with the "A" on the cap were used exclusively on the American National "American" branded trikes. This one no doubt originally had caps but were probably more of a generic cap very similar or possibly even identical to these - https://www.ebay.com/itm/PEDAL-TRAC...413468?hash=item41da4de9dc:g:wHkAAOSwfpBad0Oz

If you really want to replace the tires there are members on "The Wheelmen" site who have the wire machines and rubber to do it with. You might want to check with them. I believe you'd measure the actual width of the rubber since these tires would be replaced with round rubber. I haven't seen any sources for the flat top rubber except from horse drawn wagon restorers such as "Texas Wagon Works" - http://texaswagonworks.com/catologue/cat_rubber_tires.shtml

Dave

Last edited:
Thank you! Good information, especially on the generic caps. Finally came in this morning and laid eyeballs on it...I will post more pics later.

Back