When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Genealogical Search For Bicycles? "Bike Detectives!"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

frankabr.

Finally riding a big boys bike
I've got a great business idea for someone willing to take on the task. A genealogical search service to provide history for a bike you own, or are interested in. I'm sure many sales records exist, especially for companies like Schwinn that provided "theft insurance" with many sales. Also companies that allowed "payment plans."

Key information would be to provide the following information, in writing on a nice certificate:
1. Date of Manufacture
2. Date of Sale.
3. Place of Sale.
4. Original Sales price.

Someone prividing this service could charge a fee and provide the information on a certificate, (of a quality that could then be framed). They could call their business "Bike Detectives." They might also charge extra to send a letter to the address of the original owner to try and find a chain of ownership.

Best regards, Frank Abrams

Frank,

A good idea, but one I'm afraid is being done (to some extent) already. Most of this info can be found or is being provided but different segments and people within the 'Old Bike' hobby.

Either way, don't let Leon D. get ahold of your idea or he'll market it as his own, charge a bundle in the process, and produce very little in the end.

To start such a service takes years and years of observation and dedicated study, a lifetime collection of original literature reference material, and had exchanges with the manufacturers regarding serial number data and business practices.
Anybody know of someone like that?
Chris

Back