When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Genuine Schwinn - really??!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Has anyone run in to this scenario? You see a local ad on FB or CL or ebay and the description says vintage Schwinn bicycle. You view the pix, description and determine this person is not a bike expert and the item is for sure NOT a Schwinn bike. I always feel compelled to contact the person in a diplomatic manner and point out their error. A recent local post had very obvious pix of a Western Auto Sonic Flyer that was labled a vintage Schwinn. I very nicely pointed that out and received a flaming message " My uncle is a Schwinn expert and he is 10000% sure the bike is a Schwinn!" Not giving up, I researched a vintage Western Flyer magazine ad with that exact bike and sent that and another message to reconsider that an error was made - I received a thumbs up reply!
How do members of the group handle these ads? Is educating the uninformed public a bad idea?
Pick your battles. It's a sin to waste God's precious time.

It’s how language evolves. To many people, “Schwinn” has become synonymous with bicycle. Another example is the common “styrofoam” cup. Only DuPont Company makes styrofoam. A trademarked name. All other brands can only use “expanded foam”. Try telling someone they are not holding a “styrofoam cup”. I went to art school in Italy. Over there, any kind of adhesive tape was called “scotch”. Scotch is a trademarked name that belongs to 3M Co and no one else. It’s how language changes over time.
There are endless references in NA that are technically erroneous. Try as you might, you can't 'fix' that. Pyrex glass(poor Anchor Hocking dealing with that), Crescent wrenches, canister vacuums(actually are 'tanks'), Channel locks, Vise Grips, Crane valves(when they are not), still saying 'records' or 'albums' when they were digitized on other media decades ago(not to take away from the vinyl resurgence-loving that!), and on and on.

Scotch tape is a great example as you say. If it's popularized in our culture, it becomes the term for everything similar, right or wrong. And let us not forget horsepower(HP).....how ancient and accurate is that?! I'm pretty sure if you had three hundred cooperative horses teamed together somehow, they could out-pull a screaming 300HP car. I think back in the day it was a comparison between early steam equipment against similar work the horses could do. There couldn't be a less technical, scientific/physics term used today. And it just stuck with us....

Kevin

Last edited:
I see it just about everyday. Either not a Schwinn as described, or waaay off on what kind of Schwinn. Mostly what I see is “vintage American made” or “made in Chicago Schwinn” with a crazy price! I think most non-bike folks see Schwinn and start seeing dollar signs.

So I had this NEW Ebayer send me a couple of messages to point out an error in my listing, and thought of this message thread. It was a minor error from the auto fill that Ebay uses when you create a listing.

message.jpg

Back