When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

George S Lewis

-

chitown

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I just acquired a pretty rare book and I'm pretty excited to have. It was written by George Strong Lewis. He designed the 1st Silver Kings as well as being the Vice President and Manager at Mead Cycle Co for a number of years. He also is credited with several inventions and designs that were important to the bicycle industry. The book sheds some light on the beginnings of Mead Cycle and Monark Silver King as well as life in Wichita in the late 1800's.

GSL_cover.jpg

GSL_Mead.jpg

GSL_SK.jpg

Because of this book I was able to do additional research and find a picture that is in the library of Congress from 1888 and the Wichita Bicycle Club with a young George Lewis in his wheelmen attire.

George_Lewis_1888-closeup.jpg

GSL_cover.jpg

GSL_SK.jpg

GSL_Mead.jpg

George_Lewis_1888-closeup.jpg

Thanks for sharing this. That last pic is fantastic!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yes that book looks VERY interesting- is there any chance you could scan it? It's obviously out of copyright, if it ever had one and covers some little known ground in bicycle history.

Interest in reading

I'd be interested in obtaining a scan of the book for reading as well. Thanks for sharing this!

Back