When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GF Needs Help - To Ride a Bike

-
Get a bike that she can sit on with both feet flat on the ground. Remove the crank set and chain ring along with the chain. Have her use it like the velocipedes of the 1870s and just push herself along one foot at a time and every now and then lift both feet off of the ground and coast. This way she will learn balance and can easily put her feel back down if she starts to go off balance. After she has mastered the balance, you can better introduce her to pedaling.

This.

Training wheels are not a good way to teach at all. The Europeans know what's up when teaching kids how to ride a bike - they all start with gliders which is what gtdohn is basically suggesting.

And please no mathematical explanation just yet we need her just riding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paddle the bike with her feet and occasionally lift feet and coast a few feet.Exercise bike will build muscle tone.Then let her solo on a Radiobike.

Find a big grass hill and push her down it until she stops crashing. That's how I learned...

Just kidding.

I'm betting once she gets on a bike, she'll relearn it pretty quick.

Riding a bike is more muscle memory than anything. Her brain may have forgotten, but I bet her body hasn't.

All,

I have been trying to figure out how I teach my girlfriend to ride a bike. Yes, you read right. She told me that she sustained a head injury after a terrible fall when she was a teenager. She forgot a few things, including how to ride a bicycle. She never cared to learn, since the narrow seats on modern road and mountain bikes are extremely uncomfortable to her. She has changed her mind about cycling. She actually wants to ride the green '55 Customliner Deluxe I bought, it fits her like a custom tailored glove, and the traditional wide women's seat helps too. However, she had no idea how to brake, or maintain her balance. Definitely no shifting. She suggested "adult training wheels". I laughed (probably shouldn't have) and knew they did not make such a thing.

She does want to ride. I would love to teach her. But have no idea how. I am thinking about bringing her along with me to the gym and letting her workout on an exercise bike. This way, her body re-learns the rhythm of pedaling, and gets some idea of balance. Beyond that, I am not sure what to do.

Open to ideas, guys. Let me hear 'em!
They do make adult training wheels, I've seen them on eBay pretty often. Before long you both will be cruising together man.
Sean

What do you think of the exercise bike idea, in addition to what you suggest? It's stationary, and she can learn how to sync her legs to pedal.

I like your idea. I should probably find her a more modern bike to start out with, equipped with caliper brakes, and no gears. Strip out the crank and pedals and do what you suggest. When she learns to ride it like that, put it together and see what happens. The classic Customliner she wishes to ride could be her motivation in a way.
Instead of an exercise bike at the gym, get a cheap mag trainer so she can pedal the bicycle she will be riding (make sure you get the front wheel block also, so the bike will be level). This will give her muscle memory on the bike.
You balance isn't all in your head and inner ear - it begins in your core muscles.
Yoga is also a good idea. My buddy Lou moved his place well up in the Sunday morning sprint by taking yoga classes.

Last edited:
Back