When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Butte shifting problem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HerrOtto

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello, today I obtained a Giant Butte (probably too may sweets)Lol. The shifters are Shimano Total Integration, they have two paddles one for shifting up and the smaller one for shifting back down. When shifting, up, the front derailleur, it does move the chain to the larger chain rings but as soon as I let go of the larger paddle, the derailleur goes back down and does not stay in position. I feel the problem is in the shifter and not the derailleur. I am hoping someone here can explain how to disassemble the shifter and what to look for inside the shifter and if it is something that is repairable. Thank you
20210217_130138.jpg
20210217_130752.jpg

If you take the assembly off the bars and remove the cap on the shift mechanism you can see the internals. A common issue is the pins or little barrels no longer engage the gear on the ratchet wheel. You can clean these out with soap and water or mineral spirits and then use WD-40 to get the pins or barrels to engage again, you have to work it a while if they are gummed up.

Back