When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gilliam Racing Saddle

-

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
Here's one you don't see every day, original ca. 1895 Gilliam racing saddle - unique tubular chassis proprietary to Gilliam I believe-

Leather is excellent, finish is excellent - only the 2nd or 3rd early racing saddle of this "high back" style that I've managed to unearth-

Anyone else have one on a bike?

Gilliam Racing Saddle1.jpg

Gilliam Racing Saddle2.jpg

1895 Gilliam Saddle.png

Nice saddle.
I'm working on an Ariel which I believe is a Model 3 Light Roadster. The only part of the saddle remaining is the undercarriage in the attached picture which is similar to the Gilliam undercarriage. The add for the Ariel lists Garford, Solid Comfort, or Sager saddles as options. Can someone help identify this saddle?
Thanks!

IMG_4740.JPG

I think that is part of an early Sager saddle. I make a sager saddle with a with flat spring that will work with what you have. I also have that same nose piece that fits on the front square spring. I have had the piece for years and could never figure out what it was for, but it is very similar for the part that goes on my sager saddle. Get back to me and i will send you some pictures. Is your bike a mans or ladies? i also might know someone that has that saddle on a bike.
Dave

Sorry for the slow response. We lost internet connection yesterday. Yes, I would be interested in seeing pictures of the saddle that goes with this undercarriage.

Back