When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gitane Gran Tourisme question.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

PBYO

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello,
After many attempts I finally got my hands on a Gitane Gran Tourisme last night.
It will be my winter project and as you can see from the rushed pictures I took it needs some tlc. I have a couple of question to all you knowledgeable vintage bikers.
Firstly the year of manufacture, I know they only used foil decals from the late 60’s to the early 70’s but I don’t know the year. Perhaps my pictures can help pin it down. Secondly I am worried that the stem shifters are not original. They are Suntour, while the rest of the bike is kitted out with campy. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated. Thx.

Hello,
After many attempts I finally got my hands on a Gitane Gran Tourisme last night.
It will be my winter project and as you can see from the rushed pictures I took it needs some tlc. I have a couple of question to all you knowledgeable vintage bikers.
Firstly the year of manufacture, I know they only used foil decals from the late 60’s to the early 70’s but I don’t know the year. Perhaps my pictures can help pin it down. Secondly I am worried that the stem shifters are not original. They are Suntour, while the rest of the bike is kitted out with campy. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated. Thx. View attachment 1510261
View attachment 1510262

View attachment 1510263

View attachment 1510264

View attachment 1510265

View attachment 1510266

View attachment 1510267

View attachment 1510268

View attachment 1510269

View attachment 1510270

View attachment 1510271
@juvela

-----

1973 was the final year for the transfer set used on the cycle

you should be able to gain a specific date from the locknuts on the machine's Campag hubs

lug ensemble and crown appear to be one of the iterations of NERVEX Professional

in this set the lugs were offered with and without the reinforcing lip and with or without cutouts

---

NB - another thread has been commenced on the machine here:

-----

Thanks for the valuable info, and yes I posted to bike forum too. I want to gather as much info from as many experts as I can. I want to do the best possible job I can restoring this bike.

-----

the http://www.gitaneusa.com web site is a wonderful resource for all matters Gitane

in addition to the catalogue archive there is a forum where readers can ask about/discuss their Gitane produced cycles

the moderator there, verktyg, has a very deep knowledge of MICMO products

he also posts regularly on the BF site so he will be dropping in with excellent information on your thread there

---

for readers who think it odd that the cycle's triple chainset only goes down to 42T there was an earlier Campagnolo Record triple chainset with the 151mm BCD which could only go down to 44T -

1636644361239.png

-----

-----

the http://www.gitaneusa.com web site is a wonderful resource for all matters Gitane

in addition to the catalogue archive there is a forum where readers can ask about/discuss their Gitane produced cycles

the moderator there, verktyg, has a very deep knowledge of MICMO products

he also posts regularly on the BF site so he will be dropping in with excellent information on your thread there

---

for readers who think it odd that the cycle's triple chainset only goes down to 42T there was an earlier Campagnolo Record triple chainset with the 151mm BCD which could only go down to 44T -

View attachment 1510719

-----
Yes I just counted the chainset teeth and its
52-46-42.

-----

1973 was the final year for the transfer set used on the cycle

you should be able to gain a specific date from the locknuts on the machine's Campag hubs

View attachment 1510626

lug ensemble and crown appear to be one of the iterations of NERVEX Professional

in this set the lugs were offered with and without the reinforcing lip and with or without cutouts

View attachment 1510627

---

NB - another thread has been commenced on the machine here:

-----
Hey Juvela, I checked the date stamped on the hub nut and it has 70 stamped on it.
Thanks for the location.

Back