When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gitane Hosteller

-
Well, the "good" news is that these adult-sized Hostellers seem to have been an American market-only offering. Looking at old catalogs I only see them in the US literature. For the European market only the higher end racing bikes came in sizes up to 62cm, other models were limited to 60cm or even 57cm.

"Phew!"

that should clean up very nicely.
If you're looking for a market for a period randonneur, you might find it on IBoB google groups.

I have a red Hosteler from '68 or '69 as far as I can tell. It was spec'ed with MAFAC brakes, but has Weinnmanns that appear to be original since it has the original bar tape. The saddle is pleather over a plastic base. The racks and fenders (with a chrome tape in the center) are painted the same color as the frame. There are small tabs on the frame tubes and fender undersides for light wiring, and a Soubitez bottle dynamo and lights.
Before I got the bike it had spent years as a window display, so the sunny side of the bike has faded paint, and condensation from the display window caused some rust on the suface of the tubes. The Gitane foil decals are nearly perfect.

-----

thanks for posting dweenk ;)

does your example have a three plateau drive train?

both three plateau and two plateau were produced

my example of ~1964 is two plateau

have not learned if both types were ever offered at the same time or whether a chnage was made in a particular model year...

-----

Yes, it is a triple. I forgot to mention the rims - Rigida steel with patterned braking surfaces.

Back