When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giulietta Sport

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesper

Wore out three sets of tires already!
As a thank you to my friend for helping me with another bike purchase (which is back to "up in the air" status due to seller idiosyncrasies; simple is not in his vocabulary!), I picked up this nice example of Giulietta lightweight Sport frame with internal brake and shifter cable routing; good working OE BB and headset left on it. I believe it had a chain guard and fenders. Not sure as to the guard design so possibly might fabricate a custom laminated wood guard if I can't salvage a suitable replacement should I decide to install one. No expectation of a period rebuild; just pull out parts that fit and get it rolling.

@bulldog1935 the other half is a lion I believe, but not the serpent. I don't know if it has any tie-in to the Afla-Romeo Giulietta; but they are from the same era. That frame is still waiting for me in Modena otherwise I could give a better view of the badge. I do have this badge of some sort for it. I think it mounts on the stem clamp bolt.

My Giulietta cost $100; this Giulietta can be yours for $65000. They would make a nice pair though.

Last edited:
-----

has source provided any information regarding serial placement & format?

appears someone did a spot of masking prior to applying the present red colour

possible that OEM finish may have included striping

Torresini is one possible perpetrator who comes to mind here

have no familiarity with marque

-----

@juvela , No knowledge if or where there is a serial number. I'll be sure to post/photo any serial # or other marks when it arrives.
A repaint with original decals masked-off. I never looked at the conjunctions, but I agree that it could been done better. That should be an easy touch up and clean off of the lugs. I'll paint the seat cluster and head tube white (mask-off badge) and fill the lugs and crown cut-outs with blue to match the badge to provide a little more color.
I have only seen one other example with the "St George's Cross and lion rampant" head badge, and a couple others with another badge (pegasus style) used as a metal plate badge and also a decal badge.

The only tie-in I can think of is the Guilietta brand motorcycles/mopeds that were built by Peripoli based out of Vicenza (but the Vicenza flag has a white cross on red field; Veneto has a lion with wings). There was also a Peripoli bicycle brand, but I don't know where it was based out of, or if was an off-shoot of the motorbike company (maybe the other way 'round). It wouldn't surprise me given the history of Italian bike and motorbike hybrid companies.

Last edited:
You can't get much cooler than a nice condorino city bike, but your work is cut out for you, missing fenders, chain case, and the bars.
1940 Umberto Dei restored by @petritl
1647606442588.png
1647606465515.png

There must have always been a marketing desire to associate a bike with Alfa Romeo, and of course, Bianchi has always been the bike made in Milano (also Umberto Dei).
(Only in the current decade did Alfa get involved, using a bicycle to market the car.)
Looking forward to progress, both on the bike and the history.
Pursuing the griffin on the right side of the badge may help. It has a medieval Latin history, taken up by the church, showing up in many Italian cathedrals, and the Genoa coat of arms.

Last edited:
I have looked for the lion rampant on Italian flags and found none. It may be particular to a family's coat of arms. I am not aware of the gryphon being being used in Italy either whether municipal or provencial. The Veneto and Venezian flag have the winged lion (St. Mark's lion). Unfortunately, St. George's cross was used theoughout Italy so it does not provide much help in pinpointing a region (Genoa being the first to use it?).
Regarding the Giulietta car-bike thing; I know the car model came circa 1955, this bike frame could have been around that same time (or maybe earlier). Perhaps @juvela will bestow some of his voluminous lug knowledge to provide a better idea as to the time frame those lugs were used.

-----

suspect frame may be somewhat later than one might think at first glance

it is good to see the "BRIANZA" pattern shell

usually/mostly when manufacturers employ the "BRIANZA" lug pattern they select one of the other Agrati patterns for the shell; such as "AM", "SPORT", "ROMA", etc.

the Way-Assauto headset provides a date bracketing clue; firm yet in operation today however production of cycle fittings ended ~1972

bottom bracket assembly might be another possible dating clue; it appears it could be OMG brand; if so this name will appear in raised letters in the centre section of the spindle in a recessed oval, marque launch was ~1966

presence of chainguard bracket does not preclude OEM fitment of drop bar, yes, it is likely to have come with a condorino pattern bar from someone such as Varese or Schierano

non-resident chainguard & mudguards may have been a Mazzucchelli product -

1647649000018.png

the internal routing of the cable for the rear mech is fun but can necessitate a spot of fiddling if one wishes to fit a bottom bracket seal

when you take delivery check closely the area on the side of the seat tube just below the seat lug for possible evidence of a serial

-----

Thanks @juvela! Hoping that the paint isn't obscuring the serial # from being clearly read. I don't plan on removing the present paint work other than to clean it up some and then add highlights as previously mentioned.
@bulldog1935 , that would be the style chain guard I would like to use; full casing of the chainwheel. The post for that bike didn't mention the cog size up front; assume it is 48 teeth, so I need to ensure I get a guard that fits if I go that route. I am not going to be very particular about parts since I know I have a Duprat cottered crankset that would be fine. It probably predates the bike a bit though, and French on an Italian frame; Mama Mia!, or maybe Sacre Bleu!

the internal routing of the cable for the rear mech is fun but can necessitate a spot of fiddling if one wishes to fit a bottom bracket seal

-----
It's a closed shell so not concerned about a seal on the BB. I have placed a relatively thin semi-flexible plastic piece for protection of cable housing/cable on another bike that worked fine. Essentially heated and shaped to provide a channel and glued to the shell nozzles to keep it from shifting, does not touch the BB spindle.

Just so happens that my friend has a couple Varese bars, but I haven't inquired as to the style or age. Maybe one will be appropriate for this frame.

Back