When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glass Bead Blasting Bicycle Parts

-

Handyman

I live for the CABE
Hello Cabers,

I'm considering purchasing a "Glass Bead" blasting setup to clean/polish some of my bike parts that have varying degrees of rust. I'm thinking of parts like pedal arms, chainrings, handlebars, etc. Are there any members out there that commonly use this kind of media on their parts?? Could anyone post a pic of what the surface of a typical part might look like after glass bead blasting? Are there other blasting products that might be better? Thanks for your help. Pete in Fitchburg

I have always used silica sand(basically glass beads)and it cuts well. you can purchase other media as well, walnut hulls, lots of other softer, less abrasive stuff available as well. I believe I used 60 working psi.

Media. Blasting is a more common term. Most blasters use anything from sand to glass beads to crushed walnut shells. Depending on how much rust or scale. And how delicate the item is.

Reactions: hm.
Media blasting (glass beads) does an excellent job of removing built up paint and rust, but will leave the surface textured.
You will need to follow up with sanding to make smooth.
Can anyone comment if you followed up with a softer media it eliminates the sanding process.

Tim

Be mindful of not getting the surface too smooth. Glass bead will leave enough of a fine texture that your first coat primer can bite to. Too smooth and certain primers will not have a mechanical bite. Also if you do this at home one of the most important things to have is a GOOD filter for water coming from your compressor. If you get any water in your lines it will be blasted into the surface of the bare metal. Even if you prime right away it will rust. The filter is also good for catching any oil from the compressor. You want your metal clean!
Good luck!

Does anyone have any examples of what a typical part might look like after it has been glass bead blasted? Pete in Fitchburg

Low pressure ( 80 psi ) silica blast. Sorry, no real close ups.

Frame before the blast.

Back