When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glass Bead Blasting Bicycle Parts

-
When I use the sand blaster outdoors I drape a tarp behind to catch and recycle sand. A blast cabinet I use glass beads. A vibratory tumbler I removed the container and use different size boxes with the locking tops, then resin pellets or walnut shells.
Main thing is wear a quality industrial respirator when blasting. The cabinet seals well and has a vacuum system, but still wear a respirator.
Growing up we had a neighbor who had a whole building just for blasting cars, tractors, etc. He had the largest compressor I've seen (50hp, 440v 3ph as I remember).
He wore a space suit, never saw him wear a respirator. He made it to 70 surprisingly.
96d3e36adcc91ff187a297058974c5d1.jpg
8d55e02d36bf788f363485ee22614727.jpg
772717f7b3b57617831a840603909cc5.jpg
019a8c6451b641c68b98dcfc1c6c16a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

OK, so I purchased a blast cabinet to do a little “glass bead blasting” and the manufacturer recommends that I use at least a 1 HP compressor, 10CFM, 90lbs. I now need to purchase a bigger compressor and in order to get one that puts out a steady 10CFM of air they are HUGE, HUGE, HUGE……..I really don’t want something that a full blown garage would use, so my question is this. Can I get away with a compressor that puts out less than 10CFM, lets say 4-5 CFM? Thanks, Pete in Fitchburg

I prefer walnut shells and pecan shells, I find silica sands and glass mediums remove to much metal and you can go thru on thin stuff

Pete the cfm is amount of volume of air the compressor will steadily supply, by going to a smaller unit the actual pump will be running like a mad man on crack all the time if you put the blaster to consistant stubborn work,
Tank size matters only at start up, smaller tank faster drain out , larger tank more volume but again once pressure drops below operating setting that pump will kick on and work, bit you might get a bit of time before you start clogging up from lack of air pressure and flow.
Sometimes bigger is better

Back