When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glidacycle - New Orleans

-

willardm

Finally riding a big boys bike
Does anyone have any information, photos, brochures or ads they can share on the Glidacycle produced in New Orleans in the late 30's to early 40's?

Sotheby's.jpg

Yeah, seems to be fairly complete but have a lot of concerns on what is original and what is not. I did find a very detailed article that was published in "Bicycle News" that should be a lot of help. It appears that a lot of the parts are standard off the shelf items. The bicycle was made from around 1937 to 1942. The builder was still advertising in Popular Mechanics in 1942.

I'm not sure where I came up with Bicycle News. The newsletter with the article on the Glidacycle was "Classic Bike" published by Steve and Lynn Culver in the November/December 1996 issue. A great, but discontinued, publication for bicycle collectors. If you ever have a chance to pick up any of their newsletters, you would undoubtedly enjoy the read.

Last edited:
Glidacycle pics

Here a few pics taken from the internet. Saw my first one listed on eBay back in 2004. I don't remember if it sold or not but it was a restored bike. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of information available about them.

Attachments

• Glidacycle 2004.jpg
    Glidacycle 2004.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 966
  • Restored Glide A Cycle.jpg
    Restored Glide A Cycle.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 925
  • glidacycle mechanics.jpg
    glidacycle mechanics.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 980
I so want one to take to the Recumbent Retreat in September.

Back