When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gnutti hub, help appreciated.

-

dnc1

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Hi,
whilst out buying bits for my 'Bertin' piste special today at a jumble (I'd prearranged to buy a TA piste BB and a Stronglight headset) I also took a liking to this 'Gnutti' flip-flop hub.....
WP_20181110_17_17_22_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20181110_17_17_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20181110_17_17_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20181110_17_16_56_Pro.jpg

It's a 40 hole, all steel, chrome plated hub, fixed and freewheel type.
Does anyone have any idea as to age, usage etc?
I'm assuming it was produced for the UK market being for 40 spokes.

All I can tell you from internet search is they began making bicycle parts postwar, and stopped making them about 1970.

-----

In Brit terminology this type of hub is oft referred to as d/s, short for double-sided.

Gnutti hub origins have been discussed on the CR email list.

The experts there state that the quality three-piece models of the 1950's and early 1960's were produced under contract by Fratelli Brivio (FB) of Brescia.

Do not know the origins for the later ordinary quality one-piece alloy and five-piece bimetal examples. They may have been self produced.

AFAIK the badge seemed to last until the late 1970's or early 1980's but do not know a specific close of play date.

Agree the forty hole drilling would suggest a Brit usage. Likely the anterior companion was thirty-two.

https://condorino.com/2016/07/12/fratelli-brivio-s-a/

-----

Many thanks @juvela, great link.
Looks like it could be a Gnutti 'airone' model from the '50's. They were featured in Holdsworths 1955 'aids to happy cycling' catalogue.

-----

d/s hubs were made two ways.

one could have either double fixed or fixed on one side and gear block on the other, as we have here.

the latter format is sometimes referred to as a "training hub."

-----

Very true @juvela.
They seem to be very popular over here on '40s/'50s clubman's machines.
Lots of clubs would ride 'fixed' on fast group rides (and time trials) to avoid accidents caused by sudden braking, with the option of a freewheel for more leisurely rides.
I'm intending to use it on my '40's/'50's Rudge 'special' which currently has a later 'Dynohub' 3-speed.
One gears usually enough for me!

Back