When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gonna Call It The Dropout

-

parkrndl

Finally riding a big boys bike
ok, so I picked up a Collegiate for my daughter and it got me hooked on Schwinn lightweights. I wanted a Collegiate with the camelback frame just because I think it looks better than the diamond frames, and I'm only 5'6" so I can get away with it. Camelback Collegiates seem to be rare and pricey, so I figured I'd try to fake one. Started with this Craigslist Speedster, which was thoroughly beat:

00a0a_5hj2NI5BDY1_600x450.jpg

Fenders are obviously toast, bars were bent, fork had a wonky crooked lean to it, and the bottom headset cup was loose in the frame. A beer can shim worked for the headset, and I managed to whack the bars and fork into a semblance of straight. Then I raided an old junk Ross Europa 26" 10-speed for its wheels and brakes and other assorted bits. Ordered some Wald fenders and Kenda tires from Niagara, and this is what I ended up with:

20160728_125510.jpg

20160728_125556.jpg

20160728_125719.jpg

I like it. It rides like her Collegiate, even though it doesn't have the same pedigree. I already have a set of Schwinn brake levers for it, and some squishy Schwinn grips that I haven't decided if I'm using yet. Want to find a Schwinn 5-speed shift lever for it (the big long one that mounts at the top of the headset) and a reflector for the rear fender, and maybe replace other little bits with Schwinn stuff along the way. The chain rubs the guard a little in first gear, so i was thinking of painting another guard black and putting a Collegiate decal on it just to confuse Schwinn nuts, but I'm sure anyone who really knows what they're looking at will get it immediately. Besides, I kinda like it the way it is, maybe I'll bend the guard a little to clear the chain if I can bring myself to do it...

20160728_125858.jpg

--rick

Is this the style shifter you are looking for?

View attachment 344664
Yep, that's the one. My daughter's Collegiate and the brown girls Collegiate I picked up both have that or something similar. The brown bike cleaned up too nice to pick apart, though.

edit: actually, I may have found one already. I'll know this weekend.

Last edited:
Looks really good- good work!

I've thought about these bikes and wondered- so I'll just throw t out here:
Has anyone put 700 c wheels on these frames?

Back