When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gonna leave mountain bikes in my past!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
On a road group ride, I expressed my desire(?) to mtb, a guy told me he broke his collarbone his first time MTB'n. He had just got back on a bike after a few months! Ruined his summer riding. That was enough for me. I'll pass on that biking experience.

mountain biking is great fun and even better exercise. I went from 207 down to 165 in my first summer of riding back in 1996. my natural disposition is to be a fat guy. I got up to 250 after that and now down to 190 mostly from eating better this time.

IE: natural reflex
For many, yes. If one manages to make falling down in a proper manner that mitigates injury through training (especially martil arts based training), that has the probability of creating altered natural reflexes. In fact, one of the best pieces of advice I can provide to anyone who asks about how to become a better rider in the dirt is for them to make any of the proper movements a naturally occuring reflexive action through repetition.

Where I first learned to fall down without going boom in 1982: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Airborne_School

mountain biking is great fun and even better exercise. I went from 207 down to 165 in my first summer of riding back in 1996. my natural disposition is to be a fat guy. I got up to 250 after that and now down to 190 mostly from eating better this time.
Started riding road bikes last year. End of year I logged just under 2k miles and 60lbs down. Shooting for bigger year if knees can hold out.

For many, yes. If one manages to make falling down in a proper manner that mitigates injury through training (especially martil arts based training), that has the probability of creating altered natural reflexes.

I have always made not falling down my priority. fell over sideways once on my MB when I tried unsuccessfully to go over a root in the trail and could not get my feet out of the pedals, and once when I hit a patch of soft dirt I did not expect. I did the same thing on my road bike once when I was going up a hill and my chain fell off when I shifted to a lower gear. it is difficult if not impossible to get out of the pedals quickly with no chain.

I have always made not falling down my priority. fell over sideways once on my MB when I tried unsuccessfully to go over a root in the trail and could not get my feet out of the pedals, and once when I hit a patch of soft dirt I did not expect. I did the same thing on my road bike once when I was going up a hill and my chain fell off when I shifted to a lower gear. it is difficult if not impossible to get out of the pedals quickly with no chain.
I only have one bike that I ride clipped in on and it's a road bike that's built purely for speed on macadam. In order to get used to clipping in and out when I started riding it, I'd unclip and clip back in whenever and wherever to make it as instinctive as possible. Since you had the thrown chain take you for a loop, have you practiced getting your feet unclipped chainless? Almost every time I have a weird miscue that may be corrected with a reflexive response, I practice the corrective action until it becomes reflexive.

I only have one bike that I ride clipped in on and it's a road bike that's built purely for speed on macadam. In order to get used to clipping in and out when I started riding it, I'd unclip and clip back in whenever and wherever to make it as instinctive as possible. Since you had the thrown chain take you for a loop, have you practiced getting your feet unclipped chainless? Almost every time I have a weird miscue that may be corrected with a reflexive response, I practice the corrective action until it becomes reflexive.

my "late model" bikes all have pedals flat on one side and clips on the other but I can't remember when the last time I used the clips and my cycling shoes. I ride like regular people now.

Back