When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gonna leave mountain bikes in my past!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Im not a mountain bike guy, but I did the same thing with BMX a few years ago. It was a love of mine since I was a kid but I have a few discs in my back that are starting to "go bad", coupled with the fairly bad arthritis in my hands and wrists, I realized that I have far too much to lose now and falling isnt a fun story anymore so I decided to hang it up for good rather than risk losing much more. Sometimes Im nostalgic when i pass my old bmx hanging on the wall, but Im saving it for my son when it hits 20" riding age.
On the plus side, I deeply enjoy my slow rides alone these days, puttering slowly down the bike trails....it has become therapy.

To quote Dirty Harry from "Magnum Force", "Man's got to know his limitations."

I'll stop when they start shoveling dirt on top of me.

111904 018.jpg

this thread sounds like a monthly meeting of the old farts club. us old mountain bikers used to talk of the epic rides and killer downhills, now we only speak of slipped discs, broken bones and sore body parts.

I actually put my off road tires on my B-6 because I did not have any other tires at the time. my mountain bike has had slicks for at least 5 years.

Several years back i had a business trip for 2 weeks in South America. The person i traveled with lived in Boca Raton FL, and our plan was to spend the weekend there and go mountain biking. I had only done road biking and didnt feel mountain biking in FL would be too difficult. I was wrong.

We went to a mountain bike course in Boca that was built around a lake in a park. When you enter the course you go up a steep incline and at the top, make a sharp turn to the left. I was a little slow on the turn and ended up in the lake. (alligators) Once i got out of the lake i was on the 1 foot wide trail, up and down, around the lake. It had bends and curves and and at times the trail narrowed from its 1 foot starting width. When i completed the circuit i was bone tired, hot, wet and had a deep 6 inch gash on my left knee. (still have the scar.) That was my first and also my last time doing "mountain biking". I take my hat off to guys who do it but i will stick to roads..

A lot of things come easier to me the older I get. I can take an afternoon nap much easier. I can burn through 4 triple A batteries in a TV remote in a week. I can go to bed at 11:00 pm and get up at 10:00 am a lot easier. I can put off today what I should have done a month ago. I can say pretty much what I want to in public and people will just feel sorry for the old man. Much easier to fart whenever or wherever I feel like it. Government supplements my retirement. Actually life is pretty good at my age, problem is it doesn't have longevity.

On a road group ride, I expressed my desire(?) to mtb, a guy told me he broke his collarbone his first time MTB'n. He had just got back on a bike after a few months! Ruined his summer riding. That was enough for me. I'll pass on that biking experience.

Back