When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good candidate for OA Bath?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So, how do you properly dispose of this? I live on a Water shed and we all have wells - I don't want to contaminate anything.

Thx,

BART

So, how do you properly dispose of this? I live on a Water shed and we all have wells - I don't want to contaminate anything.

Thx,

BART

Dump some arm and hammer in there to neutralize it. It’s pretty mild stuff to begin with anyway, I can’t even imagine how much it would take to contaminate your groundwater. As mentioned before, we probably come across plenty more acidic stuff than a properly mixed OA bath in our daily life.

Getting the ratio right is probably the most important aspect. Make sure you watch for any sort of hew. If you see that remove immediately. Can be a real pain in the a$$ to remove. If your ratio is good you'll be fine. Better to go light as opposed to heavy on the OA. You can always do another bath. Also, i always make sure to rinse and clean the parts off immediately following removal from the bath. I use a little dawn soap and warm water. May not do a whole lot but it makes me feel better. Ha
You're definitely in the right place to receive advice on this topic. A few years ago I had never even heard of OA. Now, I own a kiddy pool, two bags of OA, and several much better looking bikes because of the folks here. :D

Here’s some of my results. I did an initial run with only a handful of parts. I did not want to do the whole frame on my first try and my headset is currently stuck and I’m unable to remove it.

I did about 1 heeping teaspoon per gallon, I used a plastic spoon to measure. After 6 hours with little difference I began adding 2 more about every 2 to 4 hours with the exception of while I slept. Did a total of 24 hours soaking and this was my results. Unfortunately it seems to have ruined the decals on the chain guard. It certainly helped the chrome out a lot though!

430F5B6C-06DB-4373-81C6-703EA6AC592D.jpeg

E08D21FD-0591-4D65-B8D5-82B192BA077B.jpeg

B7F15417-D34E-40C6-A5B2-417B96420794.jpeg

1F0C5BD4-5D68-4CCD-AE02-234B342D4FB3.jpeg

A0FF10BE-66E0-4637-B45D-CE6EFBB0702D.jpeg

EAF5B259-4416-4A36-A5F9-C414E4FF1826.jpeg

8B34F35B-3D60-4361-B2F4-BB26E717BFF8.jpeg

7DFBA60C-C36E-4FBD-ADB4-135DD8F60C28.jpeg

BE7588A6-90D8-4CEA-AF0A-51209830A6B1.jpeg

C9036A77-8346-4B92-9B1A-D6F35F25BF1D.jpeg

Looking good. Is it possible that your oa soak took longer than anticipated because its winter?

Looking good. Is it possible that your oa soak took longer than anticipated because its winter?

I think it might have, it got pretty cold here at the time. I heated up the water initially but over time it cooled back down.

Did your solution turn really yellow?
I usually start out with 1 heaping tablespoon of OA per gallon. No problem doing the OA soak inside the house as long as nobody or thing as in pet will mess with it. The markings on the chain guard is a screening/paint. Is it possible the guard screening is covered with the yellow residue from the solution?

Back