When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good color combo suggestions?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Stencils

Craft stores carry stencil material. The kind I've seen is called Prepared Frisket Film. WWW.grafixarts.com. Comes in sheets or rolls and you draw on and cut out your adhesive backed stencil.

Hoofhearted

Hoofhearted thanks for the advice that sounds like killer idea! My patina murray meteor flite will probably get that treatment! Matte clear coat seems to be a key thing in preserving the rustic look. And I'm still new to this so bare with me haha but do you mean something like bar keepers friend? something to age it more or clean up oxidation?

And rideahiggins, I am definitely going to use that idea as well! I think I want to stencil a rat pack rat or a muscle rat almost like the superbee from dodge with the tires burning haha. I'm just starting to experiment with painting and prepping correctly and what not.

Hoofhearted thanks for the advice that sounds like killer idea! My patina murray meteor flite will probably get that treatment! Matte clear coat seems to be a key thing in preserving the rustic look. And I'm still new to this so bare with me haha but do you mean something like bar keepers friend? something to age it more or clean up oxidation?

Rrogers1992 ... you want something to age it more ... to darken-down the metal without going
into the black arena. I had good fortune with a brass-antiquing solution, sold by an old-school furniture
repairman with an extreme fondness for patina. I purchase his brass-antiquing solution ... never gives
brass a black character AND darkens steel, also.

I don't like a product called 'Brass Black' by Birchwood Casey (at gun shops) ... it makes the brass or steel
look black. This product is used by re-loaders to mark cartridges. Those re-loaders don't give two hoots
in a row about patina. One re-loader I spoke with at Gander Mtn. told me the only kind of patina he would
eat was goose-liver patina. Told him I was a veterinarian .. his reply ... "You're missin' a lot, sonny boy !!"
(Truth be known, I do eat meat, on occasion.)

However, a product for steel that turns it a nice plum brown happens to be made by Birchwood Casey.

It's called Plum Brown yada, yada. It works best when the metal is warm to hot .. it wants to sizzle ...
or something close. Apply as per directions.

One of the attachments shows a bunch of Birchwood Casey chemistry. The circled item may give good
results .. 'tho I have never used it.

...... patric

plum-brown-group  01.jpg

bir000liq.jpg

========================================================
========================================================

plum-brown-group  01.jpg

bir000liq.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm gold pinstriping/accents would be great. I like the gun metal and black with maybe some red in it as well. And does anyone have tips on getting the paint off if the little crevices that come along? Most of the main portions are already down to bare metal but where the tubes meet and the bb area are becoming a pita. Do I just need to fold the sand paper and tough it out?? Thanks in advance
To get paint off the crevices I use a soft bristle wire brush that fits into my drill and it comes off easily and quickly. Home depot and Lowe's sell them for about $5 and it's saved me hours of work. I have 2, one is like a cup with the bristles all facing the same way, the other like a chainring (but much smaller) with the bristles facing out.

Back