When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good first bike for restoration?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ThePreacherMan

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hey everyone! I am new to vintage bikes and have been looking for an old cruiser to work on restoring. Looking for something with character and quality but not too expensive. Is the one pictured below, if rust is only surface, worth a project bike for a first timer? I love tank bikes and this definitely has character!
Screenshot_20200404-114635.png

That bicycle appears to be a more recent reproduction and not actually vintage just so you know. Some folks don't care, but some people would prefer something of original vintage that they can bring back. Just figured I'd let you know.

-Lester
Ok! What gives that away for you?

The model and colors. I'm just familiar with it. Here's a post about one...

The model and colors. I'm just familiar with it. Here's a post about one...
Ok. I had seen some in the same color pattern that were actually originals so I thought that was a good sign. Would getting him to find a serial number or something like that help? Also does this help

Screenshot_20200404-150430.png

There's no investigation necessary. You can see it in the photo. As mentioned in the referenced post, the bike is essentially a tribute bicycle. The tank mounts to tabs that are welded onto the frame which is completely different than the way period tanks mount. Again, it's not necessarily bad that it's not original, I just wanted you to know if you had your heart set on something vintage. We've all bought something at some point that didn't turn out to be what we wanted and it doesn't feel great. Just hoping to save you from a little post-purchase dissonance.

There's no investigation necessary. You can see it in the photo. As mentioned in the referenced post, the bike is essentially a tribute bicycle. The tank mounts to tabs that are welded onto the frame which is completely different than the way period tanks mount. Again, it's not necessarily bad that it's not original, I just wanted you to know if you had your heart set on something vintage. We've all bought something at some point that didn't turn out to be what we wanted and it doesn't feel great. Just hoping to save you from a little post-purchase dissonance.
The repros are still vintage age wise right? And is this a repro?

Screenshot_20200404-151347.png

Back