When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good first bike for restoration?

-
Hey everyone! I am new to vintage bikes and have been looking for an old cruiser to work on restoring. Looking for something with character and quality but not too expensive. Is the one pictured below, if rust is only surface, worth a project bike for a first timer? I love tank bikes and this definitely has character! View attachment 1167450
This bike isn't even really a repop. Its an 80's bike built to mimic the 50's style. It actually doesn't seem to be a bad deal at $150, so it would make a good first vintage-ish bike.

This bike isn't even really a repop. Its an 80's bike built to mimic the 50's style. It actually doesn't seem to be a bad deal at $150, so it would make a good first vintage-ish bike.
Do you think this is a mimic as well or a legit old gem?

Screenshot_20200404-151347.png

Even if it is a more recent (1990-2000) bicycle I would say it's a good first bike to get going. It should just need a clean up, lube and new tubes and tires. The $150 asking price seems fair for that bike.

Personally I would choose the green bike over the red one, but that is just my bias towards the older looking tank bikes and not the middleweights. Buy what you like and keep anew eye out for something older.

Green bike is 80's aftermarket junker... back when the whole Balloon tire bicycle craze took off.... mfgs started knocking
off all kinds of 'vintage' looking bikes. Quality on those green bikes is pretty horrible

Really liking this one
Screenshot_20200404-151347.png

Green bike is 80's aftermarket junker... back when the whole Balloon tire bicycle craze took off.... mfgs started knocking
off all kinds of 'vintage' looking bikes. Quality on those green bikes is pretty horrible
What about the red one?

Back