When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Things Come in Threes-- 1950 Hawthorne Three-Bar Roadster

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

soddruntlestuntle

Wore out three sets of tires already!
A fellow bicycle enthusiast who I recently became acquainted with brought this bike home a few weeks ago; he showed it to me, and I was immediately mesmerized; between the olive drab paint, the drum brakes, and the old school whitewalls, I had become smitten by this single-bar Hawthorne.

Wait, single bar?

Yes, because prior to my friend purchasing the bike, some yahoo had sawn off the lower two cross bars. Who knows why, people do stupid things all the time. Anyway, the knucklehead at least had the sense about him to save the bars, which came with the purchase. Fortunately my cycling comrade in arms is handy with a welder, and voila-- she was once again a proper three-bar bicycle. I was in love.

I asked him what he was going to do with the bike? "Sell it", was his response.

"Interested in a trade?" I asked him, scarcely able to hide the drool pooling in my mouth.

And so a deal was struck-- I gave him my '37 Hawthorne roadster and my '59 Speedster, and I got this:
thumbnail_IMG_8931.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8932.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8933.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8934.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8935.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8938.jpg

It needs a little work (anyone familiar with adjusting S-A drum brakes?), and I need to try to find a better match for the resprayed cross bars, but otherwise I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:

soddruntlestuntle

In case anyone DOES know about S-A drum brakes, the problem is they moan a bit while underway, like the shoes are rubbing. They stop fine, but they're noisy when riding.

Last edited:

soddruntlestuntle

So the rear drum still howls even without tension on the brake arm. Sigh. Guess I’m going to have to tear it apart, something I was hoping not to have to do.

IMG_8948.jpeg