When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goof Off

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

tommydale1950

I live for the CABE
I know Goof Off has been discussed regarding removing paint from a bicycle,but what about removing paint from a antique oak table. I have a very early National Biscuit Company [Nabisco] store display table with gold leaf lettering that has a paint spot on it .I would like to remove the paint without harming both the gold leaf and the og finish.Will it work? thanks in advance ..Tom ps sorry for the crappy photos

IMG_6541.JPG

IMG_6540.JPG

Invest in a bottle of "Brush on" Goof Off. Dip a cotton swab into the solution and lightly rub it back and forth on one of those drips of white paint that is near the edge of the table top .... Do not buy the spray type and just go to town on it ..... Experiment a little. Not only see if it comes off but notice what happens to the original finish underneath. Chances are the old finish is varnish. It should remain but will "lighten up " where you remove the drip. That will be a problem as any place you successfully remove the drips of paint you will have a noticeable light area. This can be minimized by lightly blending out the area , feathering it in with the goof off in the direction of the wood grain. Then" lightly" wipe clean the entire sides with a damp [ not wet] rag. Your furniture is either oak or ash and getting it wet on old dried out wood will raise the grain and stain it dark. No cleaning solutions or you may kiss your lettering good-bye.
There is also a good chance that the original finish is lacquer . You may be outta luck as the Goof Off might remove that.Use cotton swabs... no brushes.
I would stay away from the lettering. Don't be in a hurry and it will come out fine.

Keep us posted how it comes out.

Last edited:
Yes Vince you know me pretty good..... I am a goof ball I admit it but I have found out something many would give anything to know....the key to happiness!! No drugs...no alcohol needed. A good hobby , a small workshop; some old junky bikes and some ambition keeps guys like you and I alive!
That's the "restoration workshop tip" for the day. Don't sit around.... do something and have fun.:)

Yes Vince you know me pretty good..... I am a goof ball I admit it but I have found out something many would give anything to know....the key to happiness!! No drugs...no alcohol needed. A good hobby , a small workshop; some old junky bikes and some ambition keeps guys like you and I alive!
That's the "restoration workshop tip" for the day. Don't sit around.... do something and have fun.:)

Yup,this is a hobby not a job.Too many play "cutthroat" and think they are going to corner the market on old bikes.lol Never going to happen.You are right,keep the fun in this hobby.You are still a goof.lol

I have found out something many would give anything to know....the key to happiness!! No drugs...no alcohol needed. A good hobby , a small workshop; some old junky bikes and some ambition keeps guys like you and I alive!

I wish I would have read this before I sent my dollar off to the company that had "Plans for the Key to Happiness" in the back of that comic book.

I wish I would have read this before I sent my dollar off to the company that had "Plans for the Key to Happiness" in the back of that comic book.

Dont feel bad.I sent for the Charles Atlas book in the back of comics so bullies would not kick sand in my face.The muscles didnt grow but my belly did from drinkin beer while readin the book.It did work though.My beer belly got so big no girls would go to the beach with me.Problem solved.

Back