When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a line on a rideable Raleigh model s all steel 1910 in same family since brought over from ireland

-
If all the bright work is chrome plated the earliest date you could put on it is 1929. Prior to then nickel plating was used. That's a good general guide for almost all English machines.
Search for "Raleigh Catalogue" on:

http://www.veterancycleclub.org.uk/library

You'll definitely find some useful information on this site, It's an amazing resource.
You may be able to find a frame number and date from that too, try :

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/frame-number-bicycle-dating-guide/

Also a wonderful resource.

Nice machine, the Irish decals certainly add a little extra interest.
As has also been said above, this style of gents roadster was in production for over 50 years, yours doesn't look dissimilar to my '57 model, apart from mine being a rather fetching shade of purple, lol!
Good luck with the project.

Last edited:
Highship
Is that part available anywhere you know of?
Not that I'm aware of... I have seen them on eBay in the past. You could probably make one pretty easy. Here is a couple pics for you...

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1777.JPG

IMG_1778.JPG

Got my new Dublin made Raleigh home today. The first order of business will be new tires and tubes. Can not read the info on the side of the tire. Looks
Like 28 x 1.5 is the roadster size.
The leather brooks sprung saddle is the best part of the bike . In beautiful condition. Very comfortable . Just a couple of little spots w missing leather. Probably worth what I paid for the whole bike.

Looks like Harris Cyclery in w Newton Ma has the 28 x 1.5 tires i need , and the fibers rod brake pads. Will start there.
The frame number is not something I am finding in the Raleigh charts . DB 56xxx. Any ideas? No serial numbers listed at all for 1939 anywhere. DB is Dublin, I guess.

There is some paint under that gunk! Here is the headbadge and serial number. Can’t wait to clean up the paint and get new brake blocks and tires on it.

0915C432-999B-496A-94E0-7B84F929B269.jpeg

64506D23-2004-4A76-8EF1-3854D41B46A4.jpeg

So I am being told the bolt on seat stays on my raleigh roadster is a 1930’s build feature, prior to brazed seat stays .suggests this is 1939 or so. The serial number was inconclusive.

My '57 roadster has bolt-on seat stays, so not necessarily a good guide to dating.

Back