When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gramp’s 1941 New World - Trying to get it running as a rat rod bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks gkeep. I'm looking forward to the kids remembering me riding great grampa's bike. When I get it back together it will last another 75 years here in dry AZ. :)

I think the cranks are different sizes from men's to ladies to juvenile. Is a 70's ladies crank the same size?

Miq

IMG_9810.jpg

Looks like 6.5" from center of crank to center of pedal.

Nice find Jeff54!

Looks really close to the W3MFC at the top of this 1941 page. The simplest model (W1M) below it looks spot on if you took the handlebar riser and seat from the W3MFC and stuck it on the coaster bike.
1941 Schwinn New World Catalog Page.jpg

Another use of that color drawing of the caliper style version from 1940:

1940_schwinn_w3mfc New World Mens Sport Tourist.jpg

Hi,

Good news and bad news on the crank. It's full size 61/5 inch arm but the left side is bent about 15 degrees from true. I'm thinking that is why the bike was tossed out. I'll see what other parts are floating around though because you never know when another one might turn up. It could be months but just as easily I could find one tomorrow, life working at a big city solid waste transfer station. The trick is to be at the right place and the right time and save something preferably before a CAT front end loader runs over it.

I think you should try chasing those fork threads, they may clean up well enough to use. I had a pedal damage the threads on my teens Pierce crank but chased/retapped the damaged threads and a new pedal went on nice and snug. I've been riding it for 2 years with no sign of failure.

Gary

Thanks for looking Gary, I appreciate it.

I'm definitely going to try to chase the threads with a die. There's nothing to loose and I think one of my machine shop buddies will have the die & handle I need.

-Miq

Back