When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gramp’s 1941 New World - Trying to get it running as a rat rod bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Miq

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Hi Cabe Lightweight Schwinn Folks,

I recently inherited my grandfather’s 1941 BF Goodrich badged Schwinn New World. SN# H69537. I’ve been reading about it and learning how its built as I take it apart. I’m really interested in getting this bike running again to ride with my kids. It looks really ratty on the outside since it was stored in a shed in Pennsylvania for the past 70 years or so but the bearings and races all seem ok.
0639BF2B-0302-4A5B-B65C-845A905B7FA6.jpeg
1E790FDF-FE11-4EFB-9BFE-4D8A6104EA1E.jpeg
EB333588-AF3C-4A6C-8741-E9D895AB6CD5.jpeg

Last edited:
To get it in the shipping box the guys at the bike store in PA cut the pedal off.

I’ve been looking at pedals on eBay and the set of Torrigton 10s I was watching just sold for $46. That seems like too much money for me since I just need the right axle. All the other parts look fine in my pedal assemblies.
14E30644-63CB-4145-A14C-C4A717175414.jpeg

Last edited:
Was hoping to find just a crank too but most eBay listings are for the whole crank and bottom bkt assembly. There’s an older looking set from a Hornet DX bike on eBay right now. Are most old cranks treaded the same and have the same spacing?

Thanks for any advice you can share.

The bike was painted with red spray paint and is pretty beat but I think it will be a very cool rat rod and the sentimental value for me is huge.

Last edited:
The fork tube that runs through the head tube got bent at some point. Also there were some rogue ball bearings that were loose in the head set and over a period of time they badly scarred the threads.

Is this saveable? Can I straighten the fork tube and re-thread the top so that it can be properly adjusted once straight?
B348CBBA-E116-4AAD-9E50-AD32557A6281.jpeg
FB0ACDD9-82D5-4648-B341-65EC6BC8569D.jpeg

Hi Cabe Lightweight Schwinn Folks,

I recently inherited my grandfather’s 1941 BF Goodrich badged Schwinn New World. SN# H69537. I’ve been reading about it and learning how its built as I take it apart. I’m really interested in getting this bike running again to ride with my kids. It looks really ratty on the outside since it was stored in a shed in Pennsylvania for the past 70 years or so but the bearings and races all seem ok. View attachment 932946View attachment 932946
View attachment 932947View attachment 932946
View attachment 932947

View attachment 932948

Welcome to the Cabe!

It seems the photos are not showing up.

Hi GTs58. I can see them on my screen. Maybe they’re still loading or need approval since this is my first post.

The hubs are New Departure with a D coaster in the back. Seem to be in good shape too.

Hi GTs58,

I had legitimately messed that first post up. I think the pics are there now. Should be better now.

Miq

Back