When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gramp’s 1941 New World - Trying to get it running as a rat rod bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
19F30244-BE72-4708-B950-4C7A52B85327.jpeg
AE04F200-DFBB-4B69-976A-990F1CB0AA1C.jpeg
12CC5902-374D-434C-9A80-B79DE1A05FB6.jpeg

I've had luck straightening fork blades. I used a bit of heat from a bottle of Mapp Gas so that they would bend up by the crown. You kind have to just eyeball them because of the taper. Remember to straighten them side to side also. Key for "no hands" riding. You can draw a center line of a piece of plywood or paper. Next, draw two more lines parrelel to the center line that is the width of the fork tube. Measure your front hub axle width and set your blades up so the axle rides dead center. A high end bike shop should have a huge die that will clean up the fork tube but the messed up threads below the head set should be a problem.

Hi Cabe Lightweight Schwinn Folks,

I recently inherited my grandfather’s 1941 BF Goodrich badged Schwinn New World. SN# H69537. I’ve been reading about it and learning how its built as I take it apart. I’m really interested in getting this bike running again to ride with my kids. It looks really ratty on the outside since it was stored in a shed in Pennsylvania for the past 70 years or so but the bearings and races all seem ok. View attachment 932959View attachment 932960View attachment 932961
Great machine. I think that is one of the frames that uses Cromoly thing and is hand brazed.

Hi Beach Bum III,

Yea I think you’re right. Fillet brazed seamless drawn chromoly.

I’m guessing I can re-thread the head tube with the correct die. The threads at the very top are in good shape so the die will be lined up correctly when it hits the scarred section. Wonder what the thread size is?

Miq

Hi Beach Bum III,

Yea I think you’re right. Fillet brazed seamless drawn chromoly.

I’m guessing I can re-thread the head tube with the correct die. The threads at the very top are in good shape so the die will be lined up correctly when it hits the scarred section. Wonder what the thread size is?

Miq

The steer tube threads are 1"- 24 tpi https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/schwinn-head-tube.53640/#post-317497

I haven't come across one that looks as nice as yours. lol Hope you can clean it up and salvage the fork.

The Superior and Paramount were chomo and I'm thinking the New Worlds were seamless steel.

Back