When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gramp’s 1941 New World - Trying to get it running as a rat rod bike

-
Thanks for the threading info GT.

The Sheldon Brown site says the Superior and New World were seamless chromoly.
Sheldon Brown

Miq

Not being a smart a, but I take some things on Sheldon's site with a grain of salt. He stated that Schwinn never imported bikes from their Hungarian factory and that printed statement is 100% false. ;)

1547448979446.png

That's my understanding. They ride really nice. I regret getting rid of mine but I was a teenager and traded it for an SE Cruiser. Ha. I think the later 60's Super Sports used the same frame jig but I'm not positive.

Was hoping to find just a crank too but most eBay listings are for the whole crank and bottom bkt assembly. There’s an older looking set from a Hornet DX bike on eBay right now. Are most old cranks treaded the same and have the same spacing?

Thanks for any advice you can share.

The bike was painted with red spray paint and is pretty beat but I think it will be a very cool rat rod and the sentimental value for me is huge.
I've never had a problem swapping Schwinn parts from year to year. It all seems to work together (barring the later tire/rim sizes). For the rattle can finish; a gentle rub with lacquer thinner can sometimes reveal original paint and even decals if you are careful...

Hello Miq welcome, , However, it appears as if you've got some misidentification on serial numbers. The drop-outs in 41 were rear facing and it wasn't until 45-46 that the front drop-outs on your bike were implemented. Did you use that dfumb auto thing at schinnhistory site? it's got lots of faults. Accordingly, The better serial number site : http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101/SchwinnCodes3.html Lists your SN# H69537:

1953: 02/23 to 02/24 ------- H68055 ----------------- H72800

That would mean your serial numbers are on the drop-out. However if they're on the bottom bracket then it means it was built post war; 46-51.

Hi Cabe Lightweight Schwinn Folks,

I recently inherited my grandfather’s 1941 BF Goodrich badged Schwinn New World. SN# H69537. I’ve been reading about it and learning how its built as I take it apart. I’m really interested in getting this bike running again to ride with my kids. It looks really ratty on the outside since it was stored in a shed in Pennsylvania for the past 70 years or so but the bearings and races all seem ok. View attachment 932959

What's up with your right axle? I may have one for you, I will look today. (edit) Oh, I forgot it was cut off!

Last edited:
GTs58, I have seen a lot of different info different places for sure. I'll say drawn seamless steel for now. :)

Beachbum, I'll keep looking at ebay and see what cranks pops up.

Thanks Sven!

Jeff54, there is too much messed up serial number info out there. I'll send pics that show why I think it's prewar. Maybe I'm naïve in judging, I'm hoping you guys can help.

Rust Junkie, the Goodrich info is great! Do you know what year it was from?

SKPC, thank you for looking for a R axle for me. Fingers crossed.

Back