When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gramp’s 1941 New World - Trying to get it running as a rat rod bike

-
The clip on lenses really do a great job! The lower quality bearing cages are probably made to match the New Departure parts, but not made by them. I thought I saw a W stamped somewhere, which would mean Wald who make all kinds of bike replacement parts.

Reactions: Miq
Cleaned up the Torrington 8 pedals over the last few days. SKPC was able to send me a right side pedal axle to replace the brazed/cut one that came with the bike. Much thanks SKPC!!!!
IMG_0478.JPG

Cleaned some silver spray paint off the blocks using lacquer thinner. You need to be very careful with the thinner on the blocks since the surface of the block starts to quickly dissolve. I got the paint off and dunked the block into a bucket of water to stop it from getting any more dissolved. It's not as bad as it sounds if you're careful, and after some "interior spray" they look pretty good for how ratty they started. The blocks all spin freely and so does the pedal on the crank. These are great pedals!
IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG
IMG_0523.JPG
IMG_0524.JPG
IMG_0525.JPG

I cracked up looking at the BS on the bottle of ArmorAll. GREASE FREE FORMULA! Who are they trying to kid! LMAO

Much appreciated rustjunkie! I got a NOS spring this week and put together the coaster yesterday. Popped all new balls into the original cages, and reassembled my alternating oil soaked discs.
IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0502.JPG
IMG_0505.JPG
IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0508.JPG
IMG_0509.JPG

I cleaned the splot of grease on the hub. :)

Put the Kenda tire and tube and spoke tape in the rear wheel too.
IMG_0488.JPG

Put the whole rear wheel assembly on the frame and built up the bottom bracket with all new bearings and reinstalled the chain and Miller kickstand. The wheel spins when I crank the pedals and the coaster brake works fine (no load on it yet really) when I spin the crank backwards.

I need to visit my buddy with wheel building tools and get the wheels/spokes sorted out. And also still need to straighten the fork and steering tube. Hoping that will happen this weekend at another friend's workshop.

There are a couple of other things I want to address before I put it all together.

Last edited:
Back