When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great mallet antique find

-

retrobuilder

Finally riding a big boys bike
Added a old but very good usable very small mallet today.

All wood and perfect for fender work.

I will be shapping one end with a rounded form for inside bends. and linseed oil the handle.

Some times alll you need is a few light hits to get a dent and form a thin metal part.

Just $3.00 - and another old tool to USE vs put on shelf..:)

20180121_180734_resized.jpg

Did a mallet face truing flat at one end and added ~3" outer radius on opposite side..It ended uo looking good with simple steel wool and final 400 grit on the head.

Waiting for a dent to fix :) or curve to shape..

Thanks for viewing!

20180123_173030-1_resized (1).jpg

The head is wood also?
You caught that..the look and feel when I saw it seemed like it was painted wood.....no it's high durometer rubber "wood".:)
Actually better for my use.. thanks for viewing..

I have small 6 oz ball peins to large to personally machined brass ball pein and a variety of mallets and general purpose body hammer.& wood fframing types..

You caught that..the look and feel when I saw it seemed like it was painted wood.....no it's high durometer rubber "wood".:)
Actually better for my use.. thanks for viewing..

I have small 6 oz ball peins to large to personally machined brass ball pein and a variety of mallets and general purpose body hammer.& wood fframing types..
I actually have an all wood mallet, it comes in handy sometimes. also a plastic head, and a rubber head, I use the small plastic head to remove fender dents using a "glancing blow"

I actually have an all wood mallet, it comes in handy sometimes. also a plastic head, and a rubber head, I use the small plastic head to remove fender dents using a "glancing blow"
Tips-

Use a small sand bag or concave form to back up the blows. This helps eliminate over stretching the metal... Eastwood makes a lot of useful fab tools as well.

Work the larger dent from outside perimter and then towards the middle. This relieves the metal dent stress and much less "stretch" of sheetmetal

"shrink hammers" can also be used to bring stetch back in proper shape.

My goal is to get the metal part dent as close to form then take a fine file to smooth or minimize body filler.

Bye from Georgia.

Tips-

Use a small sand bag or concave form to back up the blows. This helps eliminate over stretching the metal... Eastwood makes a lot of useful fab tools as well.

Work the larger dent from outside perimter and then towards the middle. This relieves the metal dent stress and much less "stretch" of sheetmetal

My goal is to get the metal part dent as close to form then take a fine file to smooth or minimize body filler.

Bye from Georgia.
Tips-

Bye from Georgia.

Here are a few photos of the mallets I use..

IMG_8906.JPG

IMG_8907.JPG

IMG_8908.JPG

IMG_8909.JPG

IMG_8910.JPG

IMG_8911.JPG

Back