When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great Western Manufacturing Company La Porte, Indiana U.S.A Crown Bike 19?? HELP !

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Headbadge

Can you post a good pic of head badge, it will help date the bike. Looks like the front fender is a rear converted.

looks exactly like the one you posted,the top fender brace broke off and someone flipped the existing one upside down ,front fender has the manufactured indention and hole for the fork that is on the bike.

date

View attachment 72385View attachment 72391I Just acquired a Crown Bicycle Was Wonderimg if any body had any info on this beauty ......

AWESOME FIND!!

This one is a transition motorbike. Date according to the badge variation is late 1914-1917. My educated stab is 1915. This frame wasn't made for more than a year. Incorrect parts are both fenders, the h-bars are dealer-installed or added by someone. Rare accessory and valuable in their own right. Metal seat pan means wrong/newer seat. Added pedals.

It is also rare to find a GW-frame with the curved bars this close together, or on such a compact diamond. I have seen one, but almost 100% of all curved-bars are further apart and it is THOSE frames that were the spec-bikes for Johnson Motor Wheel attachments...this one was not...and of course the first JMW didn't debut until 1918.

Very nice find!...and quite exciting for me(as the GW historian) to see this "living-example"...frames from this specific period before WWI are the most interesting within this company's history...and the most short-lived.

Please post more photos..close-ups if possible...of sprocket, and bottom of crank housing.There were some subtle changes to these areas around this time...

Thanks for posting.:D

Richard

date

View attachment 72385View attachment 72391I Just acquired a Crown Bicycle Was Wonderimg if any body had any info on this beauty ......

AWESOME FIND!!

This one is a transition motorbike. Date according to the badge variation is late 1914-1917. My educated stab is 1915. This frame wasn't made for more than a year. Incorrect parts are both fenders, the h-bars are dealer-installed or added by someone. Rare accessory and valuable in their own right. Metal seat pan means wrong/newer seat. Added pedals.

It is also rare to find a GW-frame with the curved bars this close together, or on such a compact diamond. I have seen one, but almost 100% of all curved-bars are further apart and it is THOSE frames that were the spec-bikes for Johnson Motor Wheel attachments...this one was not...and of course the first JMW didn't debut until 1918.

Very nice find!...and quite exciting for me(as the GW historian) to see this "living-example"...frames from this specific period before WWI are the most interesting within this company's history...and the most short-lived.

Please post more photos..close-ups if possible...of sprocket, and bottom of crank housing.There were some subtle changes to these areas around this time...

Thanks for posting.:D

Richard

Richard, please share more of you knowledge and research with us on these cycles.

Back