When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great Western Serial Number Letter Code?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Brian R.

Wore out three sets of tires already!
In older posts, fellow Cabers helped me identify this double top tube bike as being made by Great Western, possibly with a Crown badge (3" vertical badge holes). I also found a Cyrus by Great Western with the same fork crown. It came with a Fauber crank set and the BB has semi-circular cut-outs.

So the reason for this new post comes from having the frame blasted (was just rust, no og paint left) and discovering a letter code L off by itself on the bottom of the BB. The serial number also on the BB is 013781. Assuming it is a GW frame, does anyone know the meaning of the L code? - a year perhaps?? Does the number hold any clue?

I believe not. I have seen a ladies bike with a letter “O” or number "0" separate from the serial number like yours; also a parallel bar with an “A-21,000, patented in 1915-16; a truss frame with a “B-18,000, and another “3” - patented in 1913; and a motorbike with an “L-24,000 series.
Double bars generally preceded motorbikes of the mid teens, perhaps also the 3” spacing—most are 2+3/4” in later years.
I like to play with the numbers to try to break the code and subtracting 5 from the first two digits kinda sorta works, sometimes; 13–5= 1908?
A member named Richard is a respected authority on the topic.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/three-crown-questions-year-badge-and-hubs.88789/

Last edited:
Back