When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Hornet

-
That's a beauty! Is the serial number on the drop out, post 52? That is going to be a serious head turner going down the road!

When I was working on my teens Pierce I thought I was going to break all the spokes due to rust and crust. I hit them all once of twice a day with liquid wrench for about a week and then warmed them up a bit with a heat gun. Before using the spoke wrench I went around with a nail set and tack hammer and gave the end of each spoke a couple taps. I was able to get them all turning and trued the rims with only one broken spoke. The one that broke had an area where the rust was half way through, it was a goner anyway.

Gary

That is looking sharp. Wheel rebuilding is an art I haven't been willing to tackle yet. Great work there.
-Shawn
That is looking sharp. Wheel rebuilding is an art I haven't been willing to tackle yet. Great work there.
-Shawn
I avoided it for a while, but it’s definitely easier to clean the rims, spokes and nipples separately. I learned a lot from this post from @militarymonark
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=413&page=2
Also from different videos on YouTube. It gets easier after about 10 wheels lol.

That's a beauty! Is the serial number on the drop out, post 52? That is going to be a serious head turner going down the road!

When I was working on my teens Pierce I thought I was going to break all the spokes due to rust and crust. I hit them all once of twice a day with liquid wrench for about a week and then warmed them up a bit with a heat gun. Before using the spoke wrench I went around with a nail set and tack hammer and gave the end of each spoke a couple taps. I was able to get them all turning and trued the rims with only one broken spoke. The one that broke had an area where the rust was half way through, it was a goner anyway.

Gary
Must be a ‘53 then, number’s on the dropout. Good that you got to reuse the spokes, I try to reuse everything also, unless it’s totally trash.

Back