When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Rocket rebuild

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

10~18kustoms

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Next up on the project block in the shop is this green Monark Rocket. I'm not sure the year yet until I get it on the stand and check the serial number but based on the chain guard, I'd guess around 1950 (give or take a year).

Came in parts as seen, with a few things missing but more than enough for a good start.

Not sure if you can tell from the first picture, but the original fork is bent back pretty bad and will need straightened, Also the fender is badly dented and will need rolled out. Unfortunately the fender bolt and head light screws are very rusted and won't budge so in the H2O tank they go. Hopefully a couple days soaking in good 'ol water and they will break loose so I can make the repairs.

Had a little time this afternoon and got the Green Rocket on the stand for some inspection and cleaning. Serial Number plate was pretty beat up and hard to read, but with the help of a magnifying glass I was able to make out S#A0899129. As I guessed...1950.

I then started cleaning the fenders and rack. Want to leave it as original patina as possible, so just did a good clean with Simple Green first to get the dirt dust and grime off, then a quick wipe down with wax and grease remover. Before & after pics:

Well, I thought I'd give it a day and see if anyone noticed the head badge change? Well, no one mentioned it so I will....

When I got this bike from a good friend I knew the tank was very rusted through, and probably not savable without a lot of welding, bondo glass and bodywork, but I also knew I had a same era solid two tone green Airman tank that was missing a home. So, yesterday when I was cleaning the frame I also swapped out the Rocket badge for a similar patina Airman badge I had. The project is now the Green Rocket/Airman!

PS. The Rocket tank will become a wall hanger for me to enjoy in my shop!

I did a mock up with the original chain guard, and as I expected it wasn't gonna work, just to much cream/ivory. Like my other two '50 Airman Rockets the guard color should match the tank with the lighter being the dominant color and the dark the accent. Fortunately, I had a spare correct guard already in primer so I could save the original. With some warmer than usual weather yesterday and today I did a little faux paint matching. While I was at it, I also did the pedestal light.

Got the hubs rebuilt/greased and a nice set of black wall Lightning Darts mounted. Added the truss rods that came with the bike, but they are obviously not Monark. Guessing the previous owner who had the bike in parts probably got them mixed up when rounding things up to give me. I'll try to see if he can find the originals and swap them back, because these just aren't working for me. Had an original cover green seat that didn't match the bike it was on, and since this didn't come with a seat I thought I'd try to use it here. Not sure what I think, might be too much green?? Also now wish I hadn't sold the last pair of original green Monark grips I had to a good friend, they would have really looked good here too Ha! Definitely not done yet, but getting closer.

20211129_182048.jpg

Back