When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greenville, MS Schwinn bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Did you happen to see this Insert when Eric post it a short time back? I haven't come across any serial number info on the late 80's and up Schwinns that would give someone an idea where the bikes were made or if all the Schwinn tagged bikes followed any special serial numbering format.

View attachment 1289216

No, I didn't see that. Thanks for re-posting it!

FWIW, here is some info on the numbers. It's from 1981 though, so things may have changed by the later 80's.

I just joined this forum today. At the start of the pandemic, I again started riding my old Le Tour Luxe that I bought new in 1984 at a bike shop in Eau Claire, WI. It had been hanging in the garage for 10 years after I bought a modern aluminum hybrid in 2008. I replaced the old gumwalls with Vittoria Zaffiro tires, put new brake pads on, and other than cleaning it up a bit, nothing else. It has been working really well. Even though my 2008 Cannondale hybrid only weighs 23# and has index shifting, this old 28# Schwinn delivers a more compliant ride and is a faster road bike, even if it is just a mid-ranger tourer.

I was researching the pedigree on this bike and it appears to be a Greenville Schwinn. It has SD408379 on the BB and 0824 on the headbadge. It has the 4130 Cr-Mo lugged frame with Made in USA sticker, Suntour derailliers, Dia-Compe brakes and Weinnman wheels. I thought about trying to upgrade it to a modern kit, but it works so well as built. Just wish there were more tire selections. On the hilly and rough back roads south of Charlotte, I can average 16-17 mph and keep up with other riders on their fancy modern bikes, so I think I will just keep it a while.

IMG_9112.JPG

I just joined this forum today. At the start of the pandemic, I again started riding my old Le Tour Luxe that I bought new in 1984 at a bike shop in Eau Claire, WI. It had been hanging in the garage for 10 years after I bought a modern aluminum hybrid in 2008. I replaced the old gumwalls with Vittoria Zaffiro tires, put new brake pads on, and other than cleaning it up a bit, nothing else. It has been working really well. Even though my 2008 Cannondale hybrid only weighs 23# and has index shifting, this old 28# Schwinn delivers a more compliant ride and is a faster road bike, even if it is just a mid-ranger tourer.

I was researching the pedigree on this bike and it appears to be a Greenville Schwinn. It has SD408379 on the BB and 0824 on the headbadge. It has the 4130 Cr-Mo lugged frame with Made in USA sticker, Suntour derailliers, Dia-Compe brakes and Weinnman wheels. I thought about trying to upgrade it to a modern kit, but it works so well as built. Just wish there were more tire selections. On the hilly and rough back roads south of Charlotte, I can average 16-17 mph and keep up with other riders on their fancy modern bikes, so I think I will just keep it a while.

View attachment 1299551
Interesting about the serial number. Does it look like the one in this thread?

Last edited:
By your chart, the BB serial number would indicate April 1984. The head badge 0824 would indicate March 23, 1984 final assembly. Interesting as you say.

48B9C249-56E2-44CF-B439-2C634A9688A2.jpeg

5B8D8454-7E5F-43C9-A4B7-EDB20BA86014.jpeg

Project KOM-10 and other high end mountain bikes of that era were made in Greenville.

Some bikes don't need no decorations for an Independence Day parade! Here grandpa is trying to keep up with grandson number two in his mommy-powered MiniCooper. I bought this red-white-and-blue 1988 Schwinn in the early-to-mid 1990s from a San Diego firefighter -- seemed appropriate.

20190704_100249.jpg

If you haven’t read it, most of these topics are covered in the “No Hands” book. If you are a Schwinn fan it is a must read.

Richard Schwinn occasionally gives talks in Wisconsin about Waterford and Schwinn. Someone I know asked him to sign the No Hands book after one of these talks, and he refused. He said the book was propaganda by “the banks and newspapers.” Take that for what you will. Ed Schwinn and his wife ran a cheese gift shop in Lake Geneva, WI after the bankruptcy. I believe they are retired now, but not certain. Apparently he never talks publicly about his time at Schwinn.
I met him at a bike shop a few years back and when I asked him about autographing the book I got the same exact response. The guy came across as an a***ole to me and I’m not surprised that he ended up where he did. Although I suppose that if a book was written about my brother and I and how we let a company go to crap I’d be offended by it as well.

Anyone know where the physical plant was, like an address? Just wondering what it looks like now.

I met him at a bike shop a few years back and when I asked him about autographing the book I got the same exact response. The guy came across as an a***ole to me and I’m not surprised that he ended up where he did. Although I suppose that if a book was written about my brother and I and how we let a company go to crap I’d be offended by it as well.

Anyone know where the physical plant was, like an address? Just wondering what it looks like now.
SchwinnBicycle Co. 1265 Wasson St, Greenville, MS 38701

I believe it was demolished.

I know the Taiwan Giant made bikes had a sticker on the right rear dropout with the date code on them, but never recall seeing any on the Panasonic bikes? But I am going 100% by memory from 40+ years ago, and never really paid that much attention to things like that, because I never thought I would be discussing this stuff on the internet 40+ years later......................:smiley:

I think some of the earlier LeTours were made in Chicago, but not 100% sure of that?
I believe Panasonic made the 1st LeTours,maybe others,World or Worldsport? The list above shows LeTours made in MS

You are correct. The first Le Tours were built in Japan. I believe that some late 70’s early 80’s might have been built in Chicago, but the Greenville plant built them 1981-91 until it shut down.

Back