When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Griffin Packard

-
It's generally thought that the Cadillac, LaSalle, Lincoln, and Packard badged bikes were sold and/or marketed through the car dealers. I'd bet Griffin Packard was the local dealer. A quick google search brings up a number of folks named Griffin, as well as a street, in the town on the badge, Elizabeth City, NC.
This notion that bicycles with names like cars being involved with cars is a complete, total myth– no matter how many today believe it. None of these bicycle brands were sold or marketed through car dealers. Never happened.

"Packard" bicycles... Go to Packard Information web site and search click on "Packard Bikes." No Packard-branded bicycle ever had anything whatosever to do with Packard Motor Car Company OR with Packard car dealerships. Nor were they "given away to sweeten deals" with automobiles as some web sites have claimed. There were numerous Packard-branded bicycles from numerous sources.

"LaSalle" had nothing to do with cars and was a name used by Chicago Cycle Supply on bicycles they wholesaled and distributed. "LaSalle" was a district and street in downtown Chicago which included the grand LaSalle hotel.

"Cadillac" had nothing whatsoever to do with cars and was an alternate name that could be chosen by Shelby Cycle Company dealers, distributors and wholesalers. Other bicycle makers AND W-D operations used the Cadillac name as well

"Cadilac" (with one "L") was one of many names used by Bean Son Company which was a bicycle wholesale-distributor. This same W-D also sold "Packard" branded bicycles.

After all these years, the bicycle hobby still does not understand how bicycle brands and headbadges were utilized in the sale of bicycles in the USA. A bicycle headbadge or headbadge name was not necessarily a bicycle company (as in manufacturer). OR a car company. And was not Schwinn. And Schwinn definitely did not invent this process or system. Prior to WW2 ANY dealer or W-D or retailer anywhere in the USA could pick from existing names offered by bicycle makers, W-Ds, OR could make up their own headbadge name and design. Cheap. Why this remains such a mystery today is a mystery in itself.

Leon Dixon
National Bicycle History Archive of America
(NBHAA.com)

Last edited:
This notion that bicycles with names like cars being involved with cars is a complete, total myth– no matter how many today believe it. None of these bicycle brands were sold or marketed through car dealers. Never happened.

"Packard" bicycles... Go to Packard Information web site and search click on "Packard Bikes." No Packard-branded bicycle ever had anything whatosever to do with Packard Motor Car Company OR with Packard car dealerships. Nor were they "given away to sweeten deals" with automobiles as some web sites have claimed. There were numerous Packard-branded bicycles from numerous sources.

"LaSalle" had nothing to do with cars and was a name used by Chicago Cycle Supply on bicycles they wholesaled and distributed. "LaSalle" was a district and street in downtown Chicago which included the grand LaSalle hotel.

"Cadillac" had nothing whatsoever to do with cars and was an alternate name that could be chosen by Shelby Cycle Company dealers, distributors and wholesalers. Other bicycle makers AND W-D operations used the Cadillac name as well

"Cadilac" (with one "L") was one of many names used by Bean Son Company which was a bicycle wholesale-distributor.

After all these years, the bicycle hobby still does not understand how bicycle brands and headbadges were utilized in the sale of bicycles in the USA. A bicycle headbadge or headbadge name was not necessarily a bicycle company. OR a car company. And was not Schwinn. And Schwinn definitely did not invent this process or system. Prior to WW2 ANY dealer or W-D or retailer anywhere in the USA could pick from existing names offered by bicycle makers, W-Ds, OR could make up their own headbadge name and design. Cheap. Why this remains such a mystery today is a mystery in itself.

Leon Dixon
(NBHAA.com)
I’m still digging for information on a little history of my “private label” badged bicycle and the company on it. I’ve googled it and contacted the Lynn Historical Committee but have not gotten or found any information. I will continue to dig

IMG_0214.jpeg

IMG_0205.jpeg

All you have to do is look at the Chicago Cycle Supply LaSalle and Cadillac badges and you can see representations of the explorers Cadillac and LaSalle pictured on the Badges.
Your point? Arguing for the sake of arguing?

Chicago Cycle Supply Company (and I'll bet ANY money you don't have anywhere near as many of their original catalogues as we do) was not a car company. AND... those headbadges you refer to don't say "GENERAL MOTORS" on them. They also don't say "CADILLAC DIVISION" on them. And these bicycles were not sold at car dealerships. They were sold by ChiCyCo.

AND... as I said, Shelby Cycle Company also sold CADILLAC bicycles as one of their alternative brands. And GM had zero to do with selling these. Yes, we own a Shelby-Made Cadillac bicycle. Restored it in the 1980s (I know some consider this ancient history). Cleveland Welding Company also made some CADILLAC bicycles.

Just because W-D bicycle companies, manufacturers and even dealers were playing off of the rep of car names means what? I have matchbooks and souvenirs from stays at the LaSalle Hotel in Chicago.... does that mean that GM owned the hotel and sent the maids to clean the rooms? How silly do we have to get???? A Huffy Eldorado is not a Cadillac car, for heaven's sake! They didn't selll them at Cadillac dealers. And I own a REAL 1966 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado. These bicycles were STILL not sold by car dealers or connected to car companies on any official level. Get over it.

My LAST comment on this outrageous absurdity. No more arguing about this silly topic. If the hobby chooses to stick its collective head in the sand... go do that. But it still doesn't change the facts.

Here is just one of our many ChiCyCo W-D catalogues... this one from 1938. Below it are a CWC-made CADILLAC and a Shelby-Made CADILLAC headbadge. Dare I say I got these in the 1970s?

You're welcome.

Leon Dixon
(NBHAA.com)

Schwinn1938&ChiCyCoCat.jpeg

CadillacCWBadge.JPG

CadillacShelbyBadge.JPG

Last edited:
I’m still digging for information on a little history of my “private label” badged bicycle and the company on it. I’ve googled it and contacted the Lynn Historical Committee but have not gotten or found any information. I will continue to dig

View attachment 1855818

View attachment 1855819
Here's a few ads. The last clipping gives a little history of the shop.
The shop was started in the late 1800's. I think it was 1895
Lynn Sporting Goods The Daily Item May 5th 1917.JPG

Lynn Sporting Goods The Daily Item December 22nd 1955.JPG

Lynn Sporting Goods The Daily Item December 7th 1923.JPG

Lynn Sporting Goods The Daily Item April 3rd 1931.JPG

Lynn Sporting Goods The Daily Item May 17th 1938.JPG

Your point? Arguing for the sake of arguing?

Chicago Cycle Supply Company (and I'll bet ANY money you don't have anywhere near as many of their original catalogues as we do) was not a car company. AND... those headbadges you refer to don't say "GENERAL MOTORS" on them. They also don't say "CADILLAC DIVISION" on them. And these bicycles were not sold at car dealerships. They were sold by ChiCyCo.

AND... as I said, Shelby Cycle Company also sold CADILLAC bicycles as one of their alternative brands. And GM had zero to do with selling these. Yes, we own a Shelby-Made Cadillac bicycle. Restored it in the 1980s (I know some consider this ancient history). Cleveland Welding Company also made some CADILLAC bicycles.

Just because W-D bicycle companies, manufacturers and even dealers were playing off of the rep of car names means what? I have matchbooks and souvenirs from stays at the LaSalle Hotel in Chicago.... does that mean that GM owned the hotel and sent the maids to clean the rooms? How silly do we have to get???? A Huffy Eldorado is not a Cadillac car, for heaven's sake! They didn't selll them at Cadillac dealers. And I own a REAL 1966 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado. These bicycles were STILL not sold by car dealers or connected to car companies on any official level. Get over it.

My LAST comment on this outrageous absurdity. No more arguing about this silly topic. If the hobby chooses to stick its collective head in the sand... go do that. But it still doesn't change the facts.

Here is just one of our many ChiCyCo W-D catalogues... this one from 1938. Below it are a CWC-made CADILLAC and a Shelby-Made CADILLAC headbadge. Dare I say I got these in the 1970s?

You're welcome.

Leon Dixon
(NBHAA.com)

View attachment 1855921

View attachment 1855924

View attachment 1855925
My point was agreeing with you that the Chicago Cycle badges weren't for cars, but the explorers.

Well, at least some of us can admit when we're wrong, and learn from those who know more than we do! It makes much more sense, seeing the old catalogs, than the dealer myth does!

Back