When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grinding every second tooth off a 1/2 x 1/8 drive sprocket to make it skip tooth

-

ozzie

I live for the CABE
I am planning to build a prewar cwc and would like to keep the skip tooth front chain wheel. I’ve read elsewhere it is possible to grind off every second tooth from a regular rear 1/2 x 1/8 sprocket so it will work with a skip tooth chain. The rear hub will likely be a sturmey archer 3 or 5 speed.

Has anyone tried it and does it work?

thanks for your help.

I have used Ichi bikesaftermarket drop-in 11-tooth cog sprockets, with the Shimano 3-speed hubs, (and other modern single speed hubs).

One might consider a reduced size front chain ring sprocket with the 3-speeds and the principal trade-off being between the two lower gears; or just choosing the best middle (neutral gain) gear.
CWC had a 24-tooth twisted-heart chain ring sprocket. 24 / 11 is a little faster than some modern beach cruisers with 46 / 22 gear ratios.

The 3rd gear might be great for racing down-hills; but why not just coast?

Last edited:
I have used Ichi bikesaftermarket drop-in 11-tooth cog sprockets, with the Shimano 3-speed hubs, (and other modern single speed hubs).

One might consider a reduced size front chain ring sprocket with the 3-speeds and the principal trade-off being between the two lower gears; or just choosing the best middle (neutral gain) gear.
CWC had a 24-tooth twisted-heart chain ring sprocket. 24 / 11 is a little faster than some modern beach cruisers with 46 / 22 gear ratios.

The 3rd gear might be great for racing down-hills; but why not just coast?
Thanks for your detailed reply. I considered using the Ichi bikes 11 tooth and 24 tooth cwc sprockets you mentioned but I have a nice 26t sprocket from a prewar bike and will probably combine it with a 24t rear sprocket modified to suit. I also have a 7 speed Shimano nexus hub, but I would need to spread the rear triangle around 3/4". The cwc frame looks strong enough to bend the rear section without damaging it. I have done it several times on bikes I have built as shown on Sheldon Brown's website.

On a heavy bike like the 4 gill I am building, my half century old knees and steep hills around the city I would prefer to use the 7 speed. I don't have the complete bike and the frame is a single color repaint so I'm fine with modifying it a little to make it a great rider

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Back