When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grinding Whizzer Crankshaft?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Whizzerick

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm curious to know how Whizzer crankshaft are turned/machined for new inserts? Can a lathe-mounted tool post grinder be used? Anybody got first hand experience?

Turning is just a phrase, the crank journal gets ground to size. For the most part, a crankshaft grinder with a narrow wheel is used.

I've heard someone can do it on a regular lathe, but precision and accuracy is difficult to maintain. 4 jaw chuck, perfectly dressed grinding wheel, perfectly supported in tail stock, well maintained and tight lathe and a real experienced machinist. Lubrication may be required also. Crank grinding machines use very large diameter stones that wear slowly. A small stone may wear before the job is done and may require several dressings during the operation with precision equipment and a diamond nib. I know people that could do it but would be more cost effective to get it done by one of the Whizzer guys. A guy could set up a dedicated machine but would have to learn how it's done and then offer his services to pay for it. Of course the results would need to be guaranteed within tolerances.

Back