When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grips should be on every bike!!!!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sevenhills1952

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I grew up on a farm, central Va. not far from our home here. Grandparents lived next door, Granddad was a physician. They were born late 1800s, grew up outside of Scranton Pa.
Now the gruesome story.
When they were kids they were riding bikes, one kid had no handlebar grips...hit a tree and the handlebar went through his chest killing him!
Sorry telling this horrific story, but I always remembered grips serve more than something to hold onto!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Everyone should also equip their bikes with BMX stem pads. I had a Varsity and had the drop bars flipped up with the bars ends forward and brake lever ends upward so I could do wheelies. One Summer day I gave my friend a ride home with him sitting on the bars and we almost made it home. I rear ended a Red 1965 Impala SS and came to a sudden stop. My buddy landed on the trunk and I got a stem stab in the groin. Unlucky for me, I found out years later it didn't effect my ability to reproduce. :p

Put a grip on your stem!

1964 Varsity Completed 001.jpg

Last edited:
As a kid I have seen more than one calf injury due to no pedal blocks attached to a spinning pedal shaft.

On a road bike grips are not necessary as long as the bar wrap is terminated by a plug. With cruiser style bars grips are needed. Makes the difference between a blunt trauma injury and a puncture with a dull open pipe.

Love the '64 Varsity!
I remember when those came on the market and we eyed that stem with suspicion, imagining the damage it could do the family jewels in the event of a front end collision.

At triathlons, end plugs are required. If you don't have them, you can't ride. Imagine if you had a $5,000 bike and couldn't ride because of the absence of a $0.50 pair of plugs.

Back