When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gt Dyno and old Bmx bikes high prices. Will it last??

-

1937Zenith

Finally riding a big boys bike
Just wanted to hear other thoughts on the topic. I’ve noticed since the start of the pandemic that old Bmx bikes especially dynos and GT values went through the roof! 2-3 years ago you could get a early 90s Gt performer for $200 now everyone wants $1000-$3000 for em and they are getting it. My question is do you guys/ gals think these bikes will continue to go up in value or is this just a bubble soon to pop?

before my recent journey back into old bikes and learning of the CABE a buddy of mine 10 years younger than me spent a buttload of money putting together either a duplicate of his old BMX or rebuilding it. BMX started about when I stopped being a kid on a 20" bike so I know nothing about it.. I thought he was nuts, now I find out he is not the only one and I'd bet his bike is worth way more today than when he built it 10 years ago.

Exactly. My guess is give it a couple of years and the prices will level off. I have a few BMX and am debating if I should sell or hang on to them.
Same here. That’s the reason I asked the question because I have a beautiful Dyno Detour as well as lots of Gt parts, mags etc. that i wanted to keep but I am contemplating selling because the prices are so high. Just not sure if I’m gonna be kicking myself down the line wishing I held onto them

High prices on vintage bmx stuff is nothing new.some people are high when they price things.a good way to see what its really selling for is to search sold listings on ebay.not everything is super high,just the rare stuff.and yes its not going anywhere.70s and 80s bmx will be collected and money spent till my generation is gone.

... like Ford Model A's. people buy restored ones and build hot rods out of them because a large percent of the guys that like them original are gone now.

I grew up in the 80s 90s and bmx magazines had the high end bikes in the 1500-2000 dollar range even back then....which I think lead to their downfall especially when the big names started to be made overseas.

The Sting-Ray market hasn't dropped. So what makes you think BMX prices are going to fall off?

Our generation has money now. Just a sign of the times. People want what they had as kids. Keeps them young.

Back