When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guidance Regarding Cleaning and Preservation

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

alexander55

Finally riding a big boys bike
I recently acquired my first pre-war bike. A 1939 Schwinn Paramount. I've never cleaned one this old. I want to do it well. Obviously, careful preservation is my highest priority. I am not looking for shiny. Just clean and nicely presented. I am interested in your thoughts or any online references you may provide regarding cleaning. How to handle the paint, decals, chrome and especially the WOOD RIMS would be most appreciated. I do not believe the tires are original so am considering replacing them. Would also be interested in your thoughts regarding tires, where to acquire replacements, etc.. Thank you very much.

1.jpg

Less is more....

Don't over clean it !

Light soap And water for the dirt.

Wipe dry with a clean cloth.

There are a lot of car cleaners and wax that will help bring back faded paint.

For the tire you can look into TUFO tires. You are luck as they have thinner single tubes that would work great on that bike. You do need to measure the ISO of the rim to see if they make a tire that will fit. Look it up.

Like catfish says be very gentle as pinstripes and decals become more fragile with age. Even waxing can possibly damage them. That is an exceptional early Paramount and a valuable original bike. Fine bronze wool and a quality metal polish like Mothers should be fine for plated parts and spokes. Cad plated parts probably best to use soap and water with soft cloth. Just as it is now is better than erasing the thin pinstripes or damaging decals. That's a great find.

Back