When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Handle bar idea ; Easily build'em this way ???

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Superman1984

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I would like to know would it be sturdy enough to build custom bars this way ? I want to modify some bars for my Nirve build and before I cut up 3 bars (2 - 1") mini apes and a 7/8" OCC Chopper bar to attempt the design I may use. Ofcourse IF I do this I would at least weld the seams between the 2 adapters and maybe even through bolt/weld them IF they need to be more solid vs capable of coming apart

All Ideas or Opinions Welcome. Thanks Cabers

The look of your proposed design is definitely unique. I would NOT trust such an attachment with welding like that.
It simply is NOT worth the extraordinary risk that you as the rider would be taking each time out on the bike.
This risk is much more important than the "cool factor" of the eyecatching unique design.
You do not want to end up having to go through some orthopaedic surgery and then mending and physical therapy to attempt to re-gain total mobility and range of motion...........................if you're extremely lucky you might only lose a couple of teeth and experience minor road rash in your crash when the welds break apart due to the stress imparted on them while riding.
"Cool factor" is always kinda neat, but only when it isn't extremely hazardous to your health!
Maybe the welds can be minimally adequate such that it would possibly be okay, but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

Look at the old board track bikes and motorcycles with these bars. The bar is collared (so double wall) and the nut likely would have a low profile washer behind just for the elimination of the chance of the bad pulling through. There is a pivot bolt through both bars and collars for positioning to your personal fit. I have never had or ridden these bars but I’ve looked at them for years and I love the look of them. That being said I could make a true quality set of them for what those bars in your pictures are selling for. Not saying they couldn’t be safe and sturdy and not turn orange before the ride is over. Be cautious buying these without handling them and a good inspection.
I’d rather have the post break through my seat than to trust a pair of bars that have any risk of failure. Any fab shops near by? Get a couple pairs of old motorcycle bars. Small Honda’s and the sort are the right size and strong enough for what you want to do. I need a pair of apes so don’t cut them up.. let us know what you do and good luck.
I have put thin wall metal tubes on the end of my forks and used a C-clamp to hold the steering wheel to the stem. I was cool for a minute. Anyway be safe and make this happen. What are you putting them on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just use straight bar extensions. Mountain bikes have short bars at each end. Look for the clamps alone they’ll be what you need.

Look at the old board track bikes and motorcycles with these bars. The bar is collared (so double wall) and the nut likely would have a low profile washer behind just for the elimination of the chance of the bad pulling through. There is a pivot bolt through both bars and collars for positioning to your personal fit. I have never had or ridden these bars but I’ve looked at them for years and I love the look of them. That being said I could make a true quality set of them for what those bars in your pictures are selling for. Not saying they couldn’t be safe and sturdy and not turn orange before the ride is over. Be cautious buying these without handling them and a good inspection.
I’d rather have the post break through my seat than to trust a pair of bars that have any risk of failure. Any fab shops near by? Get a couple pairs of old motorcycle bars. Small Honda’s and the sort are the right size and strong enough for what you want to do. I need a pair of apes so don’t cut them up.. let us know what you do and good luck.
I have put thin wall metal tubes on the end of my forks and used a C-clamp to hold the steering wheel to the stem. I was cool for a minute. Anyway be safe and make this happen. What are you putting them on?

That is the project bike, it's getting a 110cc semi auto 4 speed, and I was wanting something to resemble a set of "Felby" type bars. My idea was to use the 7/8" centers for my 1 1/8" threadless stem clamp, cut & add the 13" rise 1" apes to 7/8" straight clamp bar & then use the 3rd set of bars to make the added curves or design I am content with continue from the grip area. I was planning to use a longer collar or sleeve but drill at least 2 holes through both & once they're designed .... to bolt/plug weld them (thread a bolt into each hole, cut off the heads and weld). You're right on the money they're board track racer designed. Seen them via evilbay. Thought maybe I could make something cool, unique and a lot sturdier than those appear. The apes I have are an old rustied 13" chrome set from a muscle bike, a small set from a trike and the 7/8" OCC chopper "Triangle" bars. Jus' not thrilled to cut up 3 sets of bars (especially old vintage apes) to toss the idea win or lose

The idea is something similar in style to these Shelby airflow type bars. Figured during Corona 19 lockdown I could attempt something similar without the pipe bender

I like it. I’m not a fan of cutting good bars, duty or not but I think it’s a greater good that you’re after and a sacrifice must be made to keep the bike gods happy. No swap meets and all that is making me wanna cut some stuff up. Not my stuff, or even bike stuff. I just like cutting stuff up and making something else.
Keep your progress on the post and I’ll be watching. I have one of those OCC frames here somewhere and I have some ideas now. You got this one and we’ll get you more bars. Stay safe

I like it. I’m not a fan of cutting good bars, duty or not but I think it’s a greater good that you’re after and a sacrifice must be made to keep the bike gods happy. No swap meets and all that is making me wanna cut some stuff up. Not my stuff, or even bike stuff. I just like cutting stuff up and making something else.
Keep your progress on the post and I’ll be watching. I have one of those OCC frames here somewhere and I have some ideas now. You got this one and we’ll get you more bars. Stay safe

I do construction and home repair for a living so cutting poop up is the fun part of my line of work other then sledge hammering something to pieces. I know this Nirve bike isn't vintage but once done I'd like it to look the part of ol'school meets modern & tastefully done.

Back