When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Handlebar Set-Up

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wrongway

I live for the CABE
Here is my 1977 Raleigh Record Limited. (I did put it up on eBay, but in case it doesn't sell I'm thinking ahead) Before I bought it there were many improvements made to the bike and it's a great rider, but I can't get used to how far stretched out I feel. I've ridden it on a ride for 70+ miles in 12 hours, yes, I'm slow..... and I never had any sort of pains. I say that to ask this.....What can I do to get me to not feel so stretched out? I bought the adjustable stem and it helps, but I think that it is the location of the shifters way out there. I honestly think I'd be more comfortable if it was stock, but I'd lose the index shift and 14 gears. Anyone have any good pictures or suggestions?

your bar reach is extremely long. Note that your hand position is out beyond your front axle.
If your stem was shorter reach, I'd recommend a moustache bar - my favorite distance bar - but it needs to be 50 mm shorter-reach stem than fits you on drops.
Note the short stem reach, look at my hoods and front axle.
hPkFYWX.jpg

My favorite short-reach drop bar is Cinelli 64 - the original compact drop bar -
it was called the dream bar in the 70s,
and many rando riders picked this over rando bars.
hDVGDMM.jpg
6Fw33Dy.jpg

hZKPqlV.jpg

Last edited:
Tell you the truth I've not really liked the looks of the bars that my bike came with. They seem....huge.....clumsy. Maybe it's just me? I like that Cinelli 64. If I found something like that what are the odds that my brake/hoods would fit on them? Would they look odd?

Your hoods are made for a modern compact drop bar - maybe look at options there for shorter-reach in modern compact drops

Cinelli still makes the 64 - mine was bought new. And you know, your hoods might work.
What I like about this bar is it makes you use the drops, too.

Some distance riders are using the Jones H bar, to get about 50 different hand positions...

Last edited:
I recognize the problem, as I'm not the flexiest person anymore. My solution is a large frame, a short-ish stem and bars that close to level with the saddle and don't curve away too quickly. In this case a Nitto B136:

1k0.jpg

These shallow Sakae Custom World Champion bars work very well, too:

1k0.jpg

Back