When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Handlebar Tape for loose Grips

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Buster1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Not sure if this should be in the Restoration area, but it kinda applies to all bikes.

My new grips are loose, any good techniques for taping the bars? What kind of tape is best?

Not sure if this should be in the Restoration area, but it kinda applies to all bikes.

My new grips are loose, any good techniques for taping the bars? What kind of tape is best?

Buster, Have not tried it out yet but I hear hair spray in the aerosol can is the best way to cure loose grips & no I'm not kidding. Worth a try & easier than tape. - Gary

I followed a trick my supervisor showed me, he installs and uninstalls the grips on his golf clubs with shop air. It works great on even the most crusty set of grips.

Maybe brake clean or carb cleaner to get the inside of the grips sticky and install with shop air.

Shrink tube on the ends of the bars works well to increase the diameter at the ends to hold loose grips. Hair spray works also if they're not too loose

Frogtape

In the past, Frogtape has worked great for me, especially for real loose grips. The tape is used for masking walls before painting, but is has a gummy finish to it if you will.

Good Luck!
Cheers.

I found that the original grips on my '54 a little loose when I first got it. I pulled the grips off and cleaned the handlebars and the inside of the grips with Simple green and then used a heat gun to warm up the grips. When I finished the grips went on good and tight.

Thanks guys. These are on newly chromed Westfield bars (pics of the resto forthcoming!) and new re-pop grips from MLC. They are moderately loose and I think I will need the tape option based on the "looseness factor."

Back