When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Handlebars

-

oquinn

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I tighten the nut as tight as I dare and the handlebars will still push down if i put weight down on them.What can I do?

Is the stem original? If not, then you may have a 7/8" stem in a 1" fork where there would be too much extra space to tighten into. I think those were the most common sizes on the Schwinns. That'd be my first thought. Or maybe somebody put an expander nut on a wedge stem.. something weird like that.

Surfaces that are too smooth will cause it also. If that's the case, tape off just the portion of the bars that's covered by the stem and use some type of abrasive, sandpaper, etc to rough up the surface a bit. Do the same to the inside of the stem clamp also. Doesn't need much, it'll work.

You can shim up a loose handlebar with a strip cut from an aluminum soda can.

JWM

Easy fix!

You most likely have a 1" stem and a newer (handlebar - 7/8") that does not have the thicker section in the center of the bar to accept the 1" stem.

If don't know how to go about shimming it up, then you can go to problemsolversbike.com and purchase a handlebar shim for $5 to $8 bucks.

Good Luck!

You can shim up a loose handlebar with a strip cut from an aluminum soda can.

JWM

Back